Unseasonable Heat

by MCM Mama on April 16, 2012

Much of the East Coast is having summer weather this week. Today is supposed to be in the high 80s/low 90s and may very well reach a record high. I’m not ready for this.

Yesterday I headed out for an 8 mile run at 3:30 in the afternoon. In April, this should not be a problem. This time it was.

First, I had to stop back by the house at just over 2 miles. I’d been looking wistfully at all the portapotties I ran past starting at the one mile point. I’d also considered stopping at one of the open houses in our neighborhood, but didn’t want to be “that person”. Ahem.

After a quickish stop at home, I headed out for a few more miles. I really wanted at least 5 total. At the five mile point, I kept talking myself into a little bit more and a little bit more. Once I got past 6.5, I knew I was going to go for 8.

It was, in a word, awful. Not so much the running. My legs felt great and rested, but my heart was racing for most of it (and it was not because I was running fast.  In fact, I think I got passed by a granny with a walker). I spent 20 minutes after the run feeling nauseous and hungover. Thankfully, a glass of iced tea and two glasses of nuun later, I felt human.

I spent the majority of my run thinking about the Boston Marathon. Not about me ever running it (not on my list of life goals), but of the projected heat for today. I know if I qualified and trained and paid to get there, I’d run the race, come hell or high water. So, I’ll be thinking positive thoughts (and tracking online) all of my race buddies who are up there running.

Good luck to Marlene, AmandaMelody, Amanda, Erin, and all the other runners!

Run smart, hydrate well, and enjoy your “Victory Lap”.

Don't forget to enter my RoadID giveaway!
Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lisa April 16, 2012 at 8:53 am

If you have any pull with the weatherman, please arrange for springlike weather, not this unseasonable heat, for the days that I’m in the area. Please and Thank you. :-)

2 Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb April 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

I hear ya on all of these counts. Boston is definitely not on my list either. Meh. And my half is next weekend…here’s to my ankle/foot recovering prior to then and it being mild weather….not too cold, not too hot!

Have a great week!

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

Running in the heat can really take it’s toll on you that’s for sure. I find that I have to get in the electrolytes like it’s my job or I end up with that awful nauseous feeling. Yuck . I really do hope all the Boston runners are ok today.

4 Johann April 16, 2012 at 11:23 am

Heat can really suck. You did well to push to 8. Good vibes and thoughts to all at Boston.

5 Hikermom April 16, 2012 at 11:45 am

Great job getting in 8! Yes, I am thinking about everyone running Boston and hoping they stay hydrated and don’t push too hard.

6 Katie April 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

I quit after 3.5 miles yesterday! It was just too hot for me. I thought about those running Boston too . . . I cannot imagine running a marathon in this heat!

7 Laura April 16, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Isn’t it amazing what a difference the heat makes? The days are starting to get really humid here and I am dreading the long summer… we moved in July last year, and two months of TX heat was bad enough, but this year it’s gonna be more like 5. Ugh!

8 Char April 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

We’re just coming out of Summer and I have to say that I’m not sorry. I hate the heat. I can’t run in the heat. And if there’s any humidity at all I just melt. Well done on doing 8 even if it was ugly.

9 Marcia April 16, 2012 at 4:57 pm

It’s hard to believe it’s so hot on the East Coast when it’s barely 50 with gale force winds here today. My heart goes out to all the Boston runners as those conditions on that course are going to be tough to say the least. That said, I doubt there will be many takers on the deferral offer, gracious as it may be.

10 Andrea April 16, 2012 at 7:26 pm

My husband couldn’t figure out why I went to the gym today instead of outside. IT WAS MUCH COOLER!

11 Miz April 17, 2012 at 6:03 am

I laughed AT myself how I FRETTTTED about all the runners….all of them….till the race was over.