Embracing the rest

by MCM Mama on May 2, 2012

So, I got decent news at the chiropractor yesterday.  Based on how the pain presented, where the swelling was, and which pokes and prods made me scream, he’s pretty sure I’ve “just” sprained (strained?) the tendon that runs from my big toe to my ankle.  He did some stuff with ultrasound and electrical stimulation and sent me home with orders to ice it, elevate it, always wear shoes when on standing/walking until the pain goes away, and take ibuprofen for a few days.  If it’s not improved by Friday when I go back, he’ll send me for an x-ray.  (If it gets worse despite taking it easy, I’m to head for an x-ray sooner.)

But, as you know, I’m kind of an addicted runner.  I *need* my run.

Our conversation went something like this:

Me: When do you think I can run?
Him: When it completely stops swelling and hurting, you can try running.
Me: So, if it feels ok Thursday, I can run?
Him: No, you may not run until after I see you on Friday.
Me: Well, then can I go to the gym and do the elliptical or stationary bike?
Him (and you could just see he was thinking – can’t you just sit on your a$$ for a couple of days?): You could try the bike, but make sure you have the pedals adjusted exactly right and stop if it hurts AT ALL and make sure you ice it and try to keep it elevated most of the day …

So, I’m taking his unspoken advice.  I’m not only taking a couple of days off from deliberate workouts, I’m also going to try to stay off my foot (as much as possible) for a couple of days.  I’m going with the belief that 2-3 days of total rest will result in a faster recovery and fewer days of alternate/non-running workouts. It seems to be working so far as I woke up this morning with considerably less soreness than yesterday morning.

I’m resting, but I’m having to constantly remind myself that taking it easy for a few days

• won’t take away my desire to run
  • won’t change my healthy eating habits
  • won’t pack on 10 or 15 pounds (and probably won’t pack on any)
  • won’t turn my house into a shambles (oh, wait, that would be nothing new…)
  • will more than likely result in faster healing

For the next few days, I’ll be rockin’ the KT Tape and Brooks Connect look while I sit on the couch and eat bonbons  take it easy and try to maintain at least a little bit of sanity.

Brooks Pure Connects + KT Tape

Yes, I do have all 3 colors of the Brooks Pure Connects...

Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Kierston May 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

Yes! Embrace the rest. It’s so important for you and your recovery!

It took me 3-4 months to get back to running after I injured myself. As much as I wanted to go, I knew I’d be setting myself up not giving my injured area the rest it required.

Happy to hear you are less sore this morning! :)

2 Johann May 2, 2012 at 9:19 am

I love this post as I am resting because I’m sick at the moment. Not easy to stay sane! I hope you will be back to full strength soon.

3 Michelle @ Running with Attitude May 2, 2012 at 9:43 am

Try to enjoy (ok tolerate) the rest! Hope your Friday appointment goes well!!

4 feener May 2, 2012 at 9:53 am

hang in there. i recall having to get an allergy patch test and was told i couldn’t get sweaty for a week…i told the doc i NEED to run, i thought he was going to chop my head off – he was like a darn week won’t kill you……

i like that tape ?? where did you get ??

5 Marlene May 2, 2012 at 10:33 am

Good girl following doctor’s orders! FX that a few days of rest have you back on the road again.

6 Laura May 2, 2012 at 10:59 am

It is so hard to rest sometimes! Why is it that runners are such a stubborn bunch?! I’m glad it seems like good news… I hope a little rest does the trick and you won’t need those x-rays!

7 Kim @ (Just) Trying May 2, 2012 at 11:33 am

Be strong (and sit on your a$$)! Hoping for good news on Friday.

8 Erin May 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love the conversation with the doctor and can totally imagine it. You are smart to take the couple of days of rest and keep it from becoming something serious. Try to enjoy it (although I know that is hard). YAY for Brooks! :)

9 Katie @momslrb May 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I can totally hear myself having that same conversation. I know it’s hard but take it easy.

10 hikermom May 2, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Way to listen to the doc:) I’m sure they hate us runners, we never want to just be still:)

11 Suzanne May 2, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I hope the rest, ice, and staying off it will help and that Friday you will get the go ahead to run.

12 Charlotte May 3, 2012 at 12:57 am

We runners are so funny. “NO I CAN NOT SIT ON MY A$$ FOR A FEW DAYS!!!!” ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU TELL ME TO ;)

13 Charlotte May 3, 2012 at 12:58 am

ps i hope the rest ice KT and everything helps! its been a rough season for runners, everyone is getting injured

14 Char May 3, 2012 at 2:29 am