Yesterday I ran my first 13.1 mile run of 2013 as part of my “Resolution Run” Virtual half marathon. (For now, this counts as one of my 13 halves for the year. I hope to do 13 real half marathon races.)
I didn’t plan to run a half, but the weather was the best it had been in days and I just kept going. And going. And going. It wasn’t pretty (I’m still having issues with my toes) and it wasn’t fast (but I wasn’t planning to be fast), but it’s done!
Things I learned from this “race”:
- “Feels like 38″ and dry is a huge improvement over 35 and raining.
- Apparently my mind is strong enough to get me to run 7 miles more than my body really wanted to.
- Underwear with a seam across where your thighs and butt meet = recipe for major chafe.
- Finding out as you step into the shower is not a fun experience.
- Desitin rocks for chafe!
- I don’t need to fuel during a 13.1 mile run. Nuun is enough.
- Chocolate milk after the run = the bomb.
- A Subway sub with EVERY.SINGLE.VEGGIE they have is pretty awesome too.
- If you think you might need gloves (and you have pockets they can be put in), wear the damn gloves!
- When you don’t have gloves, the thumbhole things on a jacket are a life saver. (Ok, maybe just a hand saver.)
- My Garmin will last 13.1 miles as long as it has at least one full bar of battery.
- I heart my Athleta Relay capris. (Review coming soon)
- Doing four more of these on consecutive days is going to be… umm… interesting.
This is going to be a fun year!