Wausau Half Marathon
August 20, 2016
Temp: Mid 60s but crazy humid (96%)
What I wore: hat, tank top, a Skirt Sports Gym Girl Ultra, compression socks, and Altra One 2.5
If I hadn’t been going for Mercury, I never would have gone out of my way to run the Wausau Half Marathon. But from an organizational standpoint, it was a nice small town race. Packet pickup was a piece of cake and parking on race morning was plentiful and easy, despite it being Wisconsin roadwork season. I ran into a fellow Skirt Sports Ambassador before the race, but she was pushing a racing stroller with myTeam Triumph, so she started 10 minutes ahead of the half marathon. The race started on time and we headed out of Marathon Park.
I knew it was going to be a challenge with the humidity, but what really got me was the hills. I did manage to run the first 7 miles before I started walking the uphills. Typical of a small town race, I spent much of the race by myself, which meant I walked more than I would have. In fact, for the first time in a long time, I actually stopped and took a picture on the course. But who wouldn’t stop and take a picture when there is a brewery on the course? Too bad they weren’t handing out beer…
Other than the hills and the breathing issues I have with high humidity, the race was fine. I won’t go back, but that’s mostly location and time of year, than anything with the race. I was just happy to finish this one and know that I had only one more race to go to Mercury!
- The race was well organized and had zero glitches.
- There was Gatorade at many of the water stops and I was handed a Huma Chia gel just when I was completely out of energy.
- While we couldn’t stay, the post race party had lots of food and good beer (we got Sprecher’s root beer to go.)
- Running into a fellow Skirt Sports Ambassador.
- The medal is one of the most unique medals I’ve gotten in all the years I’ve raced!
- The hills.
- My dad had planned to run with me, but couldn’t due to his hip, so I was bored and by myself for much of the course.
- I didn’t eat enough before the race and was hungry for most of it.
- The humidity. I would have preferred rain.
Would I run the Wausau Half Marathon again?
Probably not. It was fine, just a typical small town race. Great if you are from there or need a race, but not one I’d go out of my way to run again. I really wasn’t a fan of the hills.