It’s almost Thanksgiving day and we all know what that means! Leftovers! I enjoy turkey dinner on Thanksgiving, but I’m not one to sit down to meal after meal of leftover turkey, sweet potatoes, and the various other sides. So, I immediately turn the leftovers into other meals if I can. Since today’s Friday Five 2.0 topic with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness is “Holiday Foods”, I’m going to share some of my favorite ways to use up the leftovers.
- Soup! I make a wicked good turkey and sweet potato soup. I’ve never tried it with mashed sweet potatoes, but I bet that would work as well.
Turkey Sweet Potato Soup and more
- Olive oil
- 1/2 Cup onion
- 1 small jalapeno, minced or 1/2 T chopped chipotle in adobo sauce
- 5 Cup turkey or chicken broth/bouillion
- 1.5 pounds sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 Cups 1/2 inch cooked turkey cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 Cups frozen corn
- Add all ingredients except corn to a 4 quart crockpot/slow cooker.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours.
- 3o minutes to an hour before serving, throw in the corn.
- Serve with hot sauce.
(I find that 1.5 times the above recipe works with a 6 quart crock.)4.20http://mcmmamaruns.com/2016/11/17/turkey-sweet-potato-soup/
- Sweet Potatoes with candied walnuts – OK, this is totally cheating. I intend this to be on my T’day table. And I will eat it again as leftovers. Then I will make some more. Yes, I’m a teeny bit obsessed.
- Sweet Potato Mole – Got some left over cooked sweet potatoes that aren’t covered in nuts or marshmallows? (What is wrong with you? Kidding…) Make this mole and serve mini tacos with left over turkey. This is great for the third day when the thought of eating even one more bite of leftover turkey makes you want to run away.
- Turkey Tortilla soup – throw some leftover turkey and corn into my tasty tortilla soup and you have a great way to finish off some leftovers. Bonus if you use the carcass to make the broth for the soup.
- Mashed potato soup – cook up some onions and mushrooms, combine with leftover mashed potatoes and turkey (or chicken) broth. Blend with a hand blender, top with bacon and cheese of choice. Win!
What’s your favorite way of eating Thanksgiving leftovers? I don’t even know if I’m cooking this year, but now I’m excited at the idea of making some stuff just for leftovers LOL.