Thank you DuClaw Brewing for sponsoring this post and sending me the DuClaw Morgazm. All opinions and the wing recipe are my own.
Welcome to the April edition of “Cooking with Beer”! Each month DuClaw Brewing sends me a beer and a friend and I create a recipe. It’s a fun time to think outside the box and try a new beer and new food. This month’s beer is “Morgazm”, a grapefruit zested blonde ale that is a citrusy twist on their Bare Ass Blonde Ale. With only 5% ABV and a light refreshing flavor, Morgazm is a perfect beer for a hot summer day.
Each month when I get my beer from DuClaw, my friend and I brainstorm ideas for the recipe. I’d had this beer before, so I knew the flavor profile, but I was at a loss as to what might make a good recipe. Thankfully, we happened to be brainstorming over wings and it occurred to us that we could come up with a really good wing recipe that emphasized the grapefruit in the beer. So, we did. And because my husband and my friend both like spicy, we added some habanero. We used two and they thought the sauce needed more kick. Just for the record, I was happy with 2. Your mileage may vary.
Not only did the wings turn out super tasty, but they played off the flavors that were present in the beer perfectly. The wheat, grapefruit, spice combination was finger licking good. I tend to prefer darker beers (even in the summer), but I very much enjoyed the Morgazm when it was accompanied by the (slightly) spicy wings.
Duclaw Morgazm Wings
- 4 lbs of wings
- juice and zest from 1 grapefruit
- 2-3 diced habanero peppers, seeds and white pith removed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Duclaw Morgazm
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 T butter
- Red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400*
- Combine Morgazm and cornstarch and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil to steam wings. (We used a pasta pot with an insert.) Steam wings for 20 minutes to render out the fat.
- Combine honey, salt, grapefruit juice and zest, and a few grinds of black pepper in a pot and bring to a boil on the stove. Reduce heat and simmer while wings are steaming.
- After steaming, place wings on cookie sheets covered in parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- When wings are almost done, add butter and beer/cornstarch mix to pot with grapefruit juice, etc. Add a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Bring just to a boil and then combine sauce and chicken in a bowl.
- Return wings to pan and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite wing accompaniments.
Disclaimer: DuClaw Brewing sent me Morgazm beer to cook with and compensated me for this post. Recipe, photos, and opinions are my own.