Confession: This week I’m most excited about Sunday, not Friday. This has been a rough week with me having a minor stomach bug at the beginning of the week and Shoo coming down with it yesterday. Add in a cat who is having stomach issues again with the added bonus of either a UTI or bladder stone and I’m exhausted. I’m looking forward to running 17.75 on Saturday because it’s a great race, but I’m not excited about the 0’dark 30 wake up time in order to get to the parking (an hour away) by 5:30 am. So Sunday is my highlight this week. I can actually sleep in!
Unfortunately, when I’m stressed and tired, I become and eating machine. And this has been a stressful spring. Yeah. Awesome. So since the topic for today’s Friday 2.0 with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness is “food”, I’m going to share the foods I’ve been obsessed with lately. At least not all of them are unhealthy…
- Avocado – I LOVE avocados. I use them in place of mayo on sandwiches and sour cream in soups or tacos. Lately I’ve also been adding them instead of cheese to my salads. Heck, sometimes I just take out the pit, pour in salsa and eat it with a spoon. Luckily, Shoo has an avocado obsession as well, so I only ever get half of one at a time as he grabs the other half.
- Banana peppers – I bought these for the roast pork sandwiches and have discovered that I can eat them straight from the jar. I don’t do that often, but I have been adding them to scrambled eggs, sandwiches, salads… They add a lot of flavor for not a lot of calories!
- Texas Jack’s Chicken Wings – OK, I admit, I don’t like chicken wings usually. There’s something about the texture that I don’t like. But these guys smoke the wings before the fry them and the spices that they use make them so good that I am able to look past my sensory issues. Luckily we don’t go there that often, so I think about them a lot, but don’t actually partake regularly.
- Tater Tots – Shoo has been begging for Tater Tots lately, so I bought them. Now I’m addicted. Seriously – they are a food that goes well with every meal, including breakfast. I’ve been loving them with runny eggs in the morning. I do need to break this habit though or none of my skirts will fit!
- Ciabatta bread – I’m a carboholic and bread is my drug of choice. I bought a bunch of these for the beer dinner we hosted and quite a few ended up in the freezer. I’ve been pulling them out and toasting them for the occasional lunch. They are completely addictive, so I will not be buying more anytime soon. I swear they go right to my thighs!
I suppose as foods go, most of these aren’t too bad, but I certainly need to scale back on portions and how often I eat them. Now if I could just get my cars, the house, the cat, and the kids to stop costing money and stressing me out, I might be able to break the stranglehold of the Ciabatta!