Soup is one of my favorite foods. Yes, the entire category. In fact, when I was pregnant with Jones, I craved soup at every meal. Since Virginia has decided that today is winter, this potato leek soup is on the menu. I need to make it while it’s actually cold enough to enjoy it.
You think I’m kidding that we are getting one day of winter? Yesterday it was in the mid-60s and I ran in a skirt and short sleeve shirt! Today it’s a high in the 30s. Sunday it will be in the 60s again. Go home, Mother Nature, you are drunk!
Anyways, I love this potato leek soup as it is super easy to make, has lots of veggies, and is quite tasty. Add a scoop of Greek yogurt and you’ve got some extra protein as well. Win/Win!
Potato Leek Soup
- 5lbs potatoes, peeled, cubed and covered with water
- 4 leeks, whites and light green part only
- 2 med sized onions
- 8 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 8 celery stalks, chopped
- 5.5 C broth, separated
- Dried Parsley
- Black pepper
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- Saute onions and leeks in 1.5 C broth until tender.
- Add carrots, celery, and drain and add potatoes.
- Cover (barely) with broth.
- Bring to a boil, then turn back and simmer.
- After 10 minutes, add some parsley and pepper to taste.
- When potatoes and carrots are done (about another 15 minutes), puree with a stick blender.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream.
What’s your favorite winter soup? Are you being hit by the cold and snow in the North East today? (We did not get any snow, boo.)
It’s supposed to be cold here again tomorrow, so I think Split Pea Soup is up next.