This has been a fun summer, but it’s been a challenging one as well. It was the first time in 7 years that I maintained a training plan over the summer and I can’t say that I’ve loved it. It’s had its ups and downs for sure. Today I’m sharing double fives with you today: 5 things I did this summer and 5 runfessions. I’m linking up with Courtney, Mar, Cynthia, and Marcia.
- This summer we went to Asheville for our family vacation. I really enjoyed the hiking and the breweries, but OMG, the hills nearly killed me on the runs!
- As per usual, we spent a good chunk of the summer in Wisconsin as well. I always love seeing my parents, eating all of the home grown produce, and taking a few dips in the backyard pool. I may also have enjoyed the s’mores and the beer while I was there. Perhaps a bit too much LOL.
- For the 6th? year in a row, we attended Great Taste of the Midwest. So far, every.single. year. has been amazing. This year the weather was perfect, we spent a lot of the day with friends, and we surrounded the event with other fun events. What’s not to love?
- While we were in Asheville, we were able to go white water rafting. Pre-kids, we used to do this once or twice every summer. Finally, the kids are getting old enough to join us! This trip was on the mild side because Shoo is only 9, but soon we’ll be hitting some class 4s again!
- I ran a ton of miles. Not every run was awesome, but I managed to stay mostly on plan, despite kids out of school, crazy humidity, and a ridiculously challenging plan. I don’t plan to train for a fall marathon again any time soon.
And now for a few “Runfessions”…
- The other day I went for a run and discovered afterwards that I’d worn my underwear inside out. Know what else I discovered? No chafing! I’m too cheap to buy special sports underwear, so I may implement this solution again the next time my “long run” underwear aren’t clean when I need to run long.
- For the next 3 weeks, I’m ignoring the Hansons plan. For the next 5 days, I’m running back to back long runs. I’m aiming for a minimum of 8 miles for each run and a max of 13 miles (I’m being flexible because we have a lot going on…). This is my peak week for my 6 half marathons in 6 days. After this, I’ll be sort of tapering (I’m not planning to skip my 16 mile run, but I may Galloway it) and then I’ll be running 13.1 for 6 days. I’m feeling sadly undertrained at this point, but we’ll see how it goes.
- I’ve run 161 miles already this month. I’m really really really tempted to run 39 miles in the next four days. The scary part is that’s really not that big of a stretch for me…
- This summer I have hardly worn shorts at all. Instead, I’ve been wearing my Happy Girl skirts most days. In fact, I’ve now got them separated into “skirts that I run in” and “skirts that I hang out in”. And I’m not going to confess how many new skirts I’ve gotten in the last few months.
- I accidentally brewed a pot of decaf coffee on Monday. Since I brew a pot and then keep it in the fridge and drink it for 3 days, I was drinking decaf for 3 days without knowing it. I couldn’t figure out why I was having wicked headaches and my runs weren’t going great and I just wasn’t feeling like myself. I discovered it when I made coffee on Thursday (at which point I found the regular coffee). My Thursday run felt awesome. Coincidence? I think not.
How was your summer? Got any confessions for me?