This week has flown by. I sent one kid off to vacation with his grandparents and I’ve been hanging out (as much as he’ll let me) with the older kid. It’s hard to believe he starts high school this fall! I’ve also been attempting to train for the Marine Corps Marathon and simultaneously pull together a Ragnar DC team. Oh, and that little thing I call a job. Add in some nasty hot weather that seems to be melting my brain and I’m super ready for the weekend. Since it’s the last Friday of the month, here are my Runfessions. I’m linking up with Marcia as well as the DC Trifecta of Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia.
- I don’t run outside in the summer to feel bada$$. I run outside because I get tired of running in place. I do, however, feel bada$$ when I complete my planned run and do it without passing out from the heat.
- I’m currently training for the Marine Corps Marathon. In years past, I’ve had an extensive calendar with planned paces and distances. This time? I’m following the Hanson’s plan, but I randomly switch between the beginner and advanced versions, depending on my mood on that run. And I keep forgetting what week I’m on.
- Last week, I managed to trip myself with my own shoelace. Remember how your mom always told you to tie your shoelaces or you’ll trip? She was right.
- Hanson’s has very specific paces for each type of run. With this awful heat wave, I’ve just been aiming for sub 11:00 minute miles and calling it good. I’m pretty sure that’s not what they meant when they called for a tempo run.
- It’s been so hot lately that I have been doing all of my runs in the Gym Girl Ultras (this is an affiliate link, which means I make a bit if you buy through it. Feel free to use code MCM20 for 20% off and then we both win) instead of my Happy Girls. I don’t do laundry nearly often enough to manage with the few GGU that I have, so of course I bought two of the new ones. (Who am I kidding? I would have bought them anyways… I really want the tanks too, but I need more tank tops about like I need more Happy Girls LOL)
Happy Friday, ya’ll. I’ve got my first long runs of this training session on tap, but rumor has it that it’s only gonna be hot instead of ghastly hot, so it’s all good.
14 thoughts on “5 Runfessions for July”
I’m never good at following a plan or running at a specific pace anyway. If you can run in this heat you will be golden for MCM!
I think in the heat we’ve had that’s a smart approach to the long run. The Hanson Plan seems to be all the rage this year. Can’t wait to see how it works out for you.
This summer’s heat has been brutal! I runfess that I’m secretly relieved to not be training for anything…
This heat wave has been brutal. Hopefully last night’s rain will keep the heat in check for awhile.
Damn SS for all the cute prints, LOL!
I think it’s actually going to be good running weather tomorrow for our long run (don’t know about the humidity yet), so that will be a pleasant change of “pace”.
I have to say I’m excited to cheer rather than run MCM. I think I can at least count on the humidity being less in Chicago than we’ve experienced in DC. Happy long run!
As hot as its been, I haven’t done one run on the TM! Yea, it was probably not a smart decision..lol. Enjoy your time with your one son!
I’m right there with you on the “tempo” runs. I’m happy if I get less than 11:00 min/miles, too. Granted I haven’t been doing any speedwork at all. But it’s been so dang hot and drippy that just running the miles is fine by me!
Super ouch on your fall! That is just not cool! I hope your injuries are healing quickly!
The new SS prints are very pretty. I can’t imagine running the higher Hanson mileage outside in this heat right now, regardless of speed. Kudos to you!
Those Sport Skirts are so cute…now I’m feeling the need for a new one..or two! LOL!
I made a vow last winter to never complain about running in summer heat since I despise running in the cold with total heart and soul. That vow is not going all so great. Me and my treadmill have spent a lot of time together! 😉
Summer training has been challenging in the heat, but I’m doing my best! I just moved into my house and the neighborhood is SO hilly. It’s an adjustment, but adding heat and humidity is really testing me!
That’s exciting that you’re doing Ragnar. I would so love to do it! I need to find a way to make it happen in 2017!
lol at hot instead of ghastly hot. I chuckled when I walked out the door this morning and was like oh it’s only 85 (with 70% humidity). Ah, DC life. Hope your leg is better after your tumble!