Anne over at Asthma and the Gift of Running tagged me for the Versatile Blogger Award.
I’m supposed to tell you 7 fun things about me.
1. I have a mild case of amblyopia (AKA “lazy eye”). To strengthen the weaker eye, I wore a patch for a short time in grade school. On school picture day, I happened to have it on and the photographer refused to let me take it off (I think he was worried about what was under the patch LOL), so I’m wearing a patch in that year’s school picture. I still give my mom a hard time about how “traumatic” that was for me. ;o)
2. When I was a freshman in high school, I played volleyball on a club team. As part of our conditioning workout, we used to push cars. There was a point in time that my legs were so strong I could push a small car by myself. Best.leg.workout.ever.
3. If I don’t write it down, it didn’t happen. I remember things by writing them down. If I write it down, I can pull up a mental picture of the page and “read” what I wrote. Needless to say, my notes during college and grad school were quite detailed.
4. I have a horrible time remember names, but I’ll always remember your face. If I see someone regularly (at the store or on the metro, etc.) and then see them randomly somewhere else, it causes me a lot of confusion because I’ll recognize their face and not be able to remember their name. It always takes me a while to realize that I never knew their name in the first place.
5. My bridal shower was thrown by one of Beer Geek’s groomsmen. As such, it was co-ed and involved an interesting combination of college friends and library students (I was working on my Masters in Library Science at the time). One of the (male) librarians came in a boa. Several people brought pies. The event will forever be remembered as “Librarians with Pies”. The coolest part, though, is that the guy throwing the shower met one of my library friends and they will shortly be celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary. (Happy anniversary, J &J!)
6. The thing I miss most about working outside the home is wearing pretty shoes. I have a huge collection of dressy shoes, including 10 pairs of black heels. Yes, 10. No, that does not include any other color or boots or casual shoes. Now I pretty much only wear running shoes or comfortable shoes. Why? Because as a mom of boys, I always need to be prepared to rescue a kid from the top of the playground equipment or wade into a stream to retrieve a kid or ball.
7. As an undergraduate, I planned to get my degree in Russian Studies. In fact, the availability of this degree played a major role in my choice of universities. In my second semester of college, I got a D+ in Russian (and I’m pretty sure the TA was being generous). I could not learn the language, no matter how hard I tried. Needless to say, I changed majors pretty darn quick.
I’m supposed to tag 15 people, but I’m dealing with a kid with strep and about 5,000 minor things going on. If you are a new follower, consider yourself tagged and leave me a comment with the link to your 7 things and I’ll add you later.