It’s hard to believe that tomorrow the kids go back to school (never mind that most other schools are already back in session.) It feels like just yesterday that we were celebrating the end of another school year. But we had a good summer and this is a huge year here – Jones (who was 7 when I started this blog!) is a senior this year and Shoo is in his last year of middle school. Seriously, where did my babies go?
We managed to pack a lot into this summer! Jones and I visited 7 colleges, 2 zoos, an aquarium, an ornithology lab, and an aviary. Shoo got to visit Beer Geek’s family, got bitten by a salamander, built his own road bike, and has gone on a few double digit mileage bike rides.
On the running front, I got to run a half marathon in Ohio and a Ragnar in Minnesota. I managed two 15 mile runs, a 16 miler, 2 18 milers and 27 miles in a 24 hour period over four runs. While my “supporting runs” were not quite where I wanted them to be and my speed is non-existent, I am pleased that I got in decent mileage despite the heat and humidity here. And I’m super proud of the run we started at 4am! Nothing like being done with 16 miles before 7:30am.
This fall is looking to be a little insane, but hopefully it’ll be a fun kind of insane.
- September 7: I have the Growler Relay (so I’ll be running 20 miles mid-week, oy).
- September 14: ZOOMA Great Lakes – lots of hard work, a teeny bit of running, and a visit with my parents.
- September 21: Ragnar Sunset (I’m debating trying to get in 20 miles there or doing another midweek 20 miler.
- September 28: ZOOMA Cape Cod – more hard work, but always fun to be at the beach.
- October 5: I’m running a marathon. Heck, if I’m going to run nearly that distance for training, I might as well run the whole way and get a medal for it LOL. I don’t know exactly which one yet, but I have a few I’m considering
- October 13: Army 20 Miler. OK, really it’s the Army 10 Miler, but somehow I’m making sure it’s a 20 mile run.
- October 20: ZOOMA Amelia Island – Not many people taper by working 18 hour days, but whatever. As a bonus, my parents are heading to Florida for a vacation, so I’ll get to see them there as well.
- October 27: Marine Corps Marathon 50K!
- November 2: ZOOMA Wine Country (TX) Hopefully I’ll be able to walk again by then… Oh, and all of Jones’ applications need to be in by then.
Yes, I am tired already. In case you are wondering, I plan to spend the rest of November sleeping…