It’s that time of year! Time for all the bloggers to write gift guides on various topics. We’ll tell you what to buy the runner in your life or what winter items to buy or what you should buy for the runner who isn’t training right now. Most of the time, when I write a gift guide, I try to include things I’ve tried. I’d hate to suggest something that turns out to be awful. But I’m coming from a different perspective this time. As a Ragnar runner, here are 5 gifts that are on my Wish List. These fill NEEDS I have, therefor I believe they should be needed by all Ragnar runners. Sound logic, right? I don’t actually have any of these, so don’t blame me if they don’t live up to their claims. Some of the links are affiliate links, which means if you buy, I get $$. And if I get $$, I can buy more stuff. We both win then, right?
- Noxgear Vest – I’ve seen these on the course and I have friends who love these. These vests light up for visibility on your night runs. I love that each vest allows you to choose which color you want the lights to be, as well as having various flashing options. If you want to wear it for Ragnar, don’t forget to also get the shoulder reflectors.
- Orange Mud Towel – Now this is something I could have used a few Ragnars ago as I changed outside the van in the pitch dark in a field. Too bad the headlights of all the vans fully illuminated my nakedness. This cool towel acts as a transition coverup (velcro keeps it on!), as a seat saver for when you are jumping back in the van after a run, or just as a regular towel. Bonus: There are 13 colors so each runner could have their own unique towel!
- Ember travel mug – OK, this just sounds amazing for home use, as well as Ragnar. Recently, Ragnar went cup free – this means bring your own coffee mug! The Ember mug will keep your coffee at exactly your preferred temp while you are out on your run. How amazing is that??? And if you score one of the coveted charging ports in the van, you can even heat a coffee up from room temperature. (Or water and add instant coffee. Win!)
- Oofos – These are the ultimate in recovery shoe, which you know your going to need with 3 runs over 36 hours. They can also do double duty as your shower shoe because you know you are not going to want to walk barefoot in those school gym showers. Just sayin’. I’ve actually tried these as Shoo has a pair and they are quite awesome for support. I just have to decide if I can deal with the piece between my toes on the sandal (yes, I’m the only person in the world who hates flip flops) or if I can deal with the less attractive slide. Oh well, comfy feet wins over cute in my world.
- Self inflating sleeping pad – These things are amazing! They pack super compactly (I just bought one for Jones and it fit in his duffel bag with all of his clothes for a conference) and they quickly inflate themselves. After being in Van#1 with lots of downtime at Ragnar DC this year, I get the purpose now. That ground got awfully hard really quickly!