Last week, Melody of Will Run for Margaritas put out a call on facebook looking for volunteers to work at Brooks Cavalcade of Curiosities. Since I wanted to go over to the expo anyways, I offered to help. Since I have kids in school, I ended up working Thursday and Friday during the day.
While helping out at the expo was awesome, the chance to see both Melody and Miss Zippy was even better.
I was assigned to the giveaway booth both days. We scanned tickets that each person brought in and gave them either a bandana, a beanie or a t-shirt. Every once in a while someone won a new pair of Brooks shoes! (When that happened, I think the volunteers were as excited as the winner LOL.) A few times over the two days, people won head to toe Brooks outfits, but that didn’t happen while I was there.
Every hour on the hour, this guy came out and drew tickets to give away two pairs of shoes. He was amazing. I think I saw him 6 times while I was there and he was always high energy and totally into it. He certainly knew how to work the crowd!
After my work hours, I had a little time to wander the expo. I sampled some yummy treats, talked to the Garmin reps about my ailing 305, and bought myself an ifitness armband (review coming soon). All in all, I had a blast!
Things I learned at the expo:
- 95% of the people who get free stuff will be thrilled with anything you give them
- 5% of the people will be rude
- little kids wearing running beanies and/or “running freak” stickers are the cutest thing EVER
- runners are really friendly people
- there are some amazing stories out there (one of the women who won shoes had lost 50 pounds and really needed new shoes to help her lose another 50)
- if I didn’t have kids, I’d love to work for a company like Brooks and travel around to Expos each weekend. Maybe someday…
If you ever get a chance to work an expo, take it!