Center of the Nation Series Half Marathon – South Dakota
September 16, 2015
Temp: Low 50s-low 60s and sunny
There was a lot to love about this day’s course. It was only 6 laps, but it had a long out and back and a short out and back. For some reason, the short out and back seemed really easy, so it felt like I’d barely begun running and I was halfway. It was a lovely day out and I finished before the wind picked up. The course had a only one real hill on it and it was actually a nice break for my legs. But the course was all concrete! While I had my fastest race of the series here, I ended the race feeling really beat up. I aggravated the side of my foot and wondered if I’d be able to run again the next day.
- I ran a large portion of the race with one of the marathoners.
- The temperature was a great.
- I felt incredibly strong the entire race.
- The awesome runners continued to amuse me (we counted laps with rubber bands…)
- I got to run with a fellow Skirt Sports ambassador for a lap.
- Beer Geek got to have a massage while I ran.
- I continued to be unable to eat during the race, which means I ran my 3rd half in a row on a few bites of rice krispy treats and some Gatorade.
- I also developed a cough that continued to bother me for the rest of the series – except when I was running.
- The concrete chewed me up and spit me out. I hurt in places I’ve never hurt before from running.
After the race, we headed out for a bunch of site seeing. On our way to Mt. Rushmore, we stumbled on a couple of brewpubs.
And then we, of course, had to get a Mt. Rushmore selfie.
We did a drive by of Crazy Horse, and then it was on to the next town for race #4!