2009 was the first year I’ve ever set out really specific goals for running. I think they were fairly realistic, without being “easy”, so I’m pretty happy that I was mostly successful.
- Run at least three half marathons, with the eventual goal of a sub-2 hour half. All done, with two of them at sub-2. I was even able to join the Half Fanatics because two of them were on consecutive weekends. Revised goal: Beat 1:30 at the Army 10 miler in October. I missed this goal by 49 seconds. I’m ok with that and it taught me a very important lesson – “Run your own race”.
- Run races in at least three new states (but I’m aiming for 5).
Blew this one away. Delaware, Florida, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Maine, and Illinois this year.
- Workout five times a week. Umm, sort of managed this one. I ran 4 or 5 times every week and walked at least 4 days a week. Part of the year I took an exercise class, but the latter part of the year was just running and walking.
- Stop stressing about my weight and start lifting weights. This would be my one major failure. I just have not found a toning/lifting routine that works for me. Not sure how to motivate myself in this area.
- Run at least 8-10 races this year. Done – 13 races in 2009. I had one more planned, but swine flu shot down that idea. That’s ok, though, because 13 is my lucky number.
February 1 -12k done
March 15 – half marathon done
April 11 – 5k done
April 26 – 10 miler done
May 10 – half marathon done
May 17 – half marathon done
June 21 – 10 miler done
June 27 – 10K done
August 2 – 10k done
August 28 – 5k done
September 26 – 10k done
October 4 – 10 miler done
November 26 – 5k done
All in all, 2009 was a successful running year. I got to run several races and a lot of regular runs with my father, who is my favorite running buddy. I even got to “run” a 5K with my parents and Jones and Shoo (in a stroller) and have Jones finish his first 5K. We got to combine our love of travel and good beer with my racing and get to try out some new brewpubs and breweries along the way. I also managed to hit 1050 miles for the year, finishing it with my dad on December 30th.
I also found some awesome new things this year. I found some great shorts – the Lululemon relaxed fit shorts and the Adidas Rebound shorts. I bought a new handheld – the Amphipod Hydraform 12oz. I LOVE that I can run without my fuel belt for my medium length runs and find this to be an extremely comfortable option. I continued my love affair with Gu and Nuun and have actually been able to run up to ten miles just with the Nuun. (Santa apparently learned of this love and filled my stocking accordingly LOL). In general, I feel like I’ve worked out some of my running fuel issues and I’ve got an excellent running wardrobe, as long as the weather is dry and above 30 degrees.
2010 has started with a little dehydration and a lot of exhaustion. We had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants (Liberty Tavern) with two of our favorite couples. We then rang in the New Year, kid free at our friends’ house and stayed up until 3 am talking. My plan of starting the year strong with a nice run has sort of fallen by the wayside LOL.
Big plans are afoot in the MCM Mama world, so I’ll be back tomorrow with my goals/plans for 2010. Happy New Year to all!
17 thoughts on “Closing out the year”
Can't wait to hear your plans – you were so spot on with last year's !
That's a darn good year. What will 2010 bring?
You had a very successful running year! Can't wait to hear what you have in store for 2010!
You really did well with last year's running goals! Looking forward to what 2010 can bring! Happy New Year!
Looks like you had a wonderful year!
Congrats on a great 2009. Looking forward to following your journey in 2010!! Keep it up, mama!
2009 was a good one for you for sure!
Congrats on 2009, looking forward to seeing which states and goals you cross off your list this year! Happy New Year!
Loved the recap. You had a great 2009! 🙂
Great 2009 … and sounds like a great start to 2010 (assuming you didnt suffer too much from the late night)
Sounds like a pretty good year to me. Good luck in 2010. And Happy New Year!!!
Yeah, I need to get it together and lay out my 'other' non-racing goals for the year too. Too many beers, too much fun, too late…yeah, it was a good time.
Sounds like a wonderful holiday and successful year! Here's to 2010!
Sounds like a wonderful year! Can't wait to see what 2010 brings.When I lift weights I tend not to work hard enough by myself. I found a muscle conditioning class that is the bomb!
hahaha – yeah, my whole run-the-first-day-of-the-year plan kinda crashed and burned too when I slept in, spent the day reading a book and drank coffee all day long… 🙂
What a great year! Good luck in '10.
2009 sounds like it was a great running year (where'd you run in Wisconsin?). Can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for you!