When it comes to racing, I’m a lucky girl. I live practically in the Nation’s Capital. (And if you were to ask Beer Geek, he’d tell you that where we live used to be part of DC, but they gave it back to Virginia…) But I digress. There are so many awesome DC races and tons just out of the city. In fact, within in an hour’s drive (ok, at 6am on a Saturday, not rush hour), there are races of pretty much any type, distance, or atmosphere that I could want. Admittedly, not all of them are awesome (like the one that’s hot and hilly every year or the one I refer to as my bad boyfriend because I keep going back even when I don’t want to or the one that was such a traffic nightmare that a lot of runners didn’t make it to the start line…) All of the options I have make picking my favorite DC race for today’s Tuesdays on the Run with Marcia and Patty a real challenge. I’ll be honest, I can’t pick just one so here are my favorite DC races.
- Marine Corps Marathon – I love this race. It’s not perfect and it’s hard to get into (and it’s gotten kind of expensive), but it gives me all the feels. From the views of the monuments and the Capitol, to the Blue Mile, to the Marines along the way, this race keeps drawing me back. It will never be a PR race for me, but I don’t really want it to be. I want to savor every mile and every minute.
- GW Parkway Classic 10 Miler – I think this is one of the absolute best races in the DC area. It runs from Mount Vernon to Alexandria on the GW Parkway. It could be a logistical nightmare (it’s a point to point), but Pacers has the organization down perfectly. The course is gorgeous and it ends with beer. What more could you ask for?
- Frederick Half Marathon – this one is about an hour from DC, but it’s a great race. It’s well organized with simple logistics and has a great hometown feel. I’ve run it several times and it’s often my fastest half marathon of the season.
- ZOOMA Annapolis – This too is about an hour away. You’ve seen my love of this race (and my love of the shenanigans that happen every year the night before.) I’ll admit that I enjoyed running the 10K instead of the half marathon last year because it’s the prettiest part of the course (and running it with a hangover is doable…), but I’ll be back to the half marathon this year. It was my first half marathon and, assuming all goes well this spring, my 70th. (Use my Ambassador code – Erika2017 – for 10% off and come join me this year!)
- Marine Corps Historic Half – This is another “hour away” race with some crazy hills, but it’s super well organized and fun to run. I’ve done it both as a drive down same day and as a racecation and it’s great either way.
If you are looking for some great smaller races, I also recommend any race put on by Pacers Events or PRR. They are always well organized, reasonably priced, and a lot of fun. So many DC races to choose from!
So, tell me where else I should run! And come visit sometime and we’ll run a race together. And join us next week to rate your month in running!
[inlinkz_linkup id=704732 mode=1]
38 thoughts on “DC Races, You’re All My Favorites!”
I’ve done the Marine corps half and the Frederick half. I love that there are so many great races in this are! I just wish it was easier to get to DC the day before a race for packet pick up.
Thankfully, most of the races I run don’t involve packet pick up in the city. Not sure what to expect for MCM this year – last year I bought a bunch of stuff at a local running store and they picked up my bib for me.
You have such a wonderful area to run in! Someday maybe I’ll squeeze in an actual DC race. Or half, maybe.
You should definitely visit the area – so much to do along with the racing.
Oh, I have been to DC many times (although it’s been many years) & lived in MD a year before I got married. And did ZOOMA Annapolis a couple of years ago. But I’ve never run in DC.
I’m biased but I definitely think you need to come to CLEVELAND to run! It’s relatively flat and we have some fun races. And it’s not as hot as DC in the summer!
There are so many races I want to do and I can only afford a few travel ones a year…
Those all look like great races! I so wish I could run ZOOMA Annapolis but I have a grand baby due and can’t miss that! Do you ever come to Florida? ZOOMA Florida is a pretty one!
I’d love to run the Florida race, but I just can’t add one more thing to my budget this year, unfortunately.
Sooooo… tomorrow is lottery day!!! ???
I’m running the 17.75 race this weekend to get my Golden Ticket. So, yeah, I’m running MCM unless something crazy happens.
I am surprised that you didn’t lists the Cherry Blossom 10 miler. I heard that was another good one in the DC area. I have only ran the Marine Corp Marathon.
I haven’t ever run it. Some people love it and some don’t, but since I have not had the chance to run it, I have no opinion.
I”d love to do MCM–if I can get on top of my RA, that could be on my to-do list! You have a ton of great 10 mile races too. I’m also so impressed with the active DC blogger community.
Come visit! I’d love to meet up.
You definitely have more than your share of great races there. MCM is definitely one of my all-time faves.
I know. So many options.
With our oldest daughter now in SE Pennsylvania, I’m trying to find a race to do…and all of these DC events are within driving distance. I’ve had the MCM on my bucket list forever….the hubby is a retired AF dude, so he’s all about military stuff and DC is THE place for historic sites.
Come visit! MCM is an awesome race and I’ve heard good things about the Navy Air Force Half as well.
I had the marine Corp historic half on my radar. Thank you for letting me know how hilly it is! I may pass now..lol
It’s hilly, but it is still a great race.
DC is on my bucket list. I must run there.
It’s a great place to run and there are lots of race options.
D.C. has so many amazing races! It’s my “dream” to live there one day!
I have family that have done the Army 10-miler a few times.
I love running the Army 10, but I don’t love dealing with getting to and from the start line.
You are inspiring me to put the DC area on my list now! That historic half looks awesome! 🙂 But come run with me in CA. I just did the LA Marathon (my first one) 2 days ago and it was absolutely a wonderful experience I will remember forever. I did a lot of sightseeing along the way and had to remind myself to focus on running! When I finally got to the last mile and saw the ocean to my right, I realized I really love running by the ocean, so I am hoping to do the surf city and Long Beach one in the future. 🙂
We have a really great womens run every May and a fast half marathon every September. They are both great courses and well organized. I hope to get to DC someday for a run!
Those both sound really cool. Definitely let me know if you are headed out this way…
MCM is definitely a bucket list race!
It’s an awesome race. I love that it’s near me.
We are so lucky to have so many great races in DC. I like some of the smaller shorter races like the 10k’s on Hains Point too
I do a lot of the shorter Pacers races because many are near my house. So fun!
Someday: Marine Corps Marathon! I’ll cheer a few times until I can actually run that one. 😉
The 5K of the GWPC was my first race ever, then we moved to Stratford Landing and I could run to the start for my warm-up. Now my husb usually drops me off at the start but last year I had to deal with the logistics and it went really well. They’ve been doing it long enough to have the kinks worked out.
Like you, I have a hard time picking a favorite race. I also live about an hour away from a major city, so I have plenty of options as well! And all are awesome!
I’d really like to do another 10 miler. The only one I ever did was the runDisney Tower of Terror one in 2014 and then they stopped putting that one on, so I haven’t done another. The 10 miler you mentioned sounds cool and I’ve also had my eye on the Cherry Blossom 10 miler.
I would love to do more DC races. Looks like I need to head back East!
I love the DC-area for racing and I’m excited to run the Parkway Classic for the first time! I didn’t realize there’s beer at the end…even better!