When it comes to racing, I’m a lucky girl. I live practically in the Nation’s Capital. (And if you were to ask Beer Geek, he’d tell you that where we live used to be part of DC, but they gave it back to Virginia…) But I digress. There are so many awesome DC races and tons just out of the city. In fact, within in an hour’s drive (ok, at 6am on a Saturday, not rush hour), there are races of pretty much any type, distance, or atmosphere that I could want. Admittedly, not all of them are awesome (like the one that’s hot and hilly every year or the one I refer to as my bad boyfriend because I keep going back even when I don’t want to or the one that was such a traffic nightmare that a lot of runners didn’t make it to the start line…) All of the options I have make picking my favorite DC race for today’s Tuesdays on the Run with Marcia and Patty a real challenge. I’ll be honest, I can’t pick just one so here are my favorite DC races.
- Marine Corps Marathon – I love this race. It’s not perfect and it’s hard to get into (and it’s gotten kind of expensive), but it gives me all the feels. From the views of the monuments and the Capitol, to the Blue Mile, to the Marines along the way, this race keeps drawing me back. It will never be a PR race for me, but I don’t really want it to be. I want to savor every mile and every minute.
- GW Parkway Classic 10 Miler – I think this is one of the absolute best races in the DC area. It runs from Mount Vernon to Alexandria on the GW Parkway. It could be a logistical nightmare (it’s a point to point), but Pacers has the organization down perfectly. The course is gorgeous and it ends with beer. What more could you ask for?
- Frederick Half Marathon – this one is about an hour from DC, but it’s a great race. It’s well organized with simple logistics and has a great hometown feel. I’ve run it several times and it’s often my fastest half marathon of the season.
- ZOOMA Annapolis – This too is about an hour away. You’ve seen my love of this race (and my love of the shenanigans that happen every year the night before.) I’ll admit that I enjoyed running the 10K instead of the half marathon last year because it’s the prettiest part of the course (and running it with a hangover is doable…), but I’ll be back to the half marathon this year. It was my first half marathon and, assuming all goes well this spring, my 70th. (Use my Ambassador code – Erika2017 – for 10% off and come join me this year!)
- Marine Corps Historic Half – This is another “hour away” race with some crazy hills, but it’s super well organized and fun to run. I’ve done it both as a drive down same day and as a racecation and it’s great either way.
If you are looking for some great smaller races, I also recommend any race put on by Pacers Events or PRR. They are always well organized, reasonably priced, and a lot of fun. So many DC races to choose from!
So, tell me where else I should run! And come visit sometime and we’ll run a race together. And join us next week to rate your month in running!
[inlinkz_linkup id=704732 mode=1]