Yesterday was quite a day. I accidentally deleted a chunk of my blog sidebar, I got to spend a significant amount of time getting gum out of someone’s hair (my hands still smell like a bizarre combination of mango and peanut butter), and I nearly killed myself trying to get my skinny jeans off over my fluffy socks. I mean, yay, my skinny jeans fit, but who knew that fluffy socks were such a problem…
Anyways, today’s topic for Tuesdays on the Run is “Guilty Running Pleasures.” I’ll be honest, I don’t feel so guilty about any of them. I deserve them all. Why? I just do. Luckily, Beer Geek is generally in agreement about them.
So here are some of my not so guilty running related pleasures:
- Skirt Sports – Big surprise, right? I justify all things Skirt based on my running and non-running activities. After all, temps here swing from over 100* in the summer down to a single digit actual temperature in the winter. Obviously I need the shortest of the skirts AND the warmest tights and wool skirts. And everything in between.
- Beer – I run, therefore I drink beer. That’s how it works, right?
- Naps – I never used to nap, not even when my kids were babies and sleep was a precious commodity. But now? Long runs = afternoon naps.
- Travel – I’m pretty sure I’m doing the 50 states half marathon thing purely so I have an excuse to visit every state again. Yes, again. I finished all 50 states 20 years ago when Beer Geek and I went to Hawaii. In fact, I only have 12 more states to go (and 4 of those I’ve run shorter races in.)
- Girl time – Most of my running partners are women (especially since Beer Geek got too fast for me, grrr…). I’m not a Girl’s Night Out kind of girl, but I love running with my female friends and you know I love a weekend out at Skirt Sports.
- Trashy novels – As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve perfected the skill of reading on the treadmill. Frequently this is my motivation to actually run as it gives me time to read when I don’t have anytime to read a book. Books can’t be too deep though – I can focus my eyes to read, but I can’t always keep my brain in the game.
I’m sure that there are more things that I justify because I run, but these are my top items. What do you justify because you run? And do you feel guilty about it?
[inlinkz_linkup id=759863 mode=1]
19 thoughts on “My “I don’t feel at all guilty” running pleasures”
yes! afternoon naps after a long run are fabulous
I definitely justify drinks (champagne or rum are my favorites) and extra indulgent food thanks to running. And I don’t feel a bit guilty.
How do you read on the treadmill?! I’ve tried with my kindle but I just don’t stay stable enough to focus but that would be so much better than just music or trying to watch something for me.
Thats very impressive that you can read on the treadmill! When I was in grad school I figured out how to read/study on there but I don’t think I could do it any more. Yes to post-run beer and naps!
Travel & cute running clothes? Check!
Other than that — well, at times running seems selfish but we both know it really isn’t!
Mine are wine and naps! I never feel guilty having another glass of wine if I ran long that day!
I don’t know how you read on the treadmill! That in itself deserves a blog post. I couldn’t do it–I think I’d get nauseous!
You make a great point. Racecations are my “girl time” as well, ever since I gave up clubbing in college. Haha! That’s so great your’e on your 2nd go-round on visiting all 50 states.
SWEETS!!! They are my guilty pleasure… Run, stretch, coffee & cake= my perfect post run treat! I sometime have real guilt for my husband who watches our 2 year so much that I can run (not mommy guilt, wife guilt) but I know he doesn’t mind and Kara loves hanging with him! Girl time is DEF a pleasure of running for me!
Naps are amazing! I definitely enjoy naps more often during marathon training, especially after a long run!
I saw girl scout cookies are on sale soon. Just in time for my training to start. That’s a sign, right?
I have always been envious watching people read while running.. that is very impressive!!!!
Whoa – reading on the treadmill? :I just got my first one (yay!!) and have been watching netflix with the Closed Captioning on while the household sleeps, but even that is challenging.
Well, you like your beer and i LOVE my chai latte’s. Especially in the cold of winter (and we all have had that this year), I may (on occasion) indulge in a couple (or four) chai’s in a day. The calorie count is pretty low (70 per cup), and with my running (and stair climbing), I’m not worried about my waistline LOL
I need to add naps into my rotation!
Sorry you had a crazy day, but your opening paragraph literally made me laugh out loud! Nothing beats a nap after a long run. 🙂
Fun list! I guess I run for pizza and beer. 😉
I can’t read on the treadmill but I can watch trashy reality TV 😉 That’s one of my running guilty pleasures.
I justify my favorite tacos after a long run, or after a hard speed session… don’t feel one ounce of guilt!