Thank you DuClaw Brewing for sponsoring this post and sending me the DuClaw Hop Hammer IPA. All opinions and the mousse recipe are my own.
Welcome to the October edition of “Cooking with Beer”! Each month DuClaw Brewing sends me a beer and a friend and I create a recipe. It’s a fun time to think outside the box and try a new beer and new food. This month’s beer is “Hop Hammer”, a nicely balanced India Pale Ale. With Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas all arriving soon, I decided that a dessert would be a great option.
I don’t generally drink IPAs. I’m much more of a fan of malty, dark, and sweet beers, but this was a nice example of the style. I knew that if I combined just the chocolate and the beer, it would please a hop head, but I really wanted something that *I’d* like to eat. I played around with a few ideas and it turned out that orange was the perfect match. If you love hops, don’t add the orange and the taste of the beer will come through more.
This is a super simple recipe, but does require a bit of arm work with the whisk. I tried it with a mixer as well and that worked pretty well, but the whisk gave a slightly more airy texture.
DuClaw Hop Hammer IPA Chocolate Mousse
- 10 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 Cup DuClaw Hop Hammer beer
- 2 Tsp orange extract
- candied orange for garnish
- Open Hop Hammer and allow to "flatten" a bit.
- Prepare an ice bath with ice and cold water in a large bowl. Place a smaller bowl into ice bath.
- Melt chocolate with beer over a low flame until completely melted.
- Add orange extract.
- Move chocolate to small bowl of ice bath and whisk for 3-5 minutes until texture resembles mousse.
- Place dollops of mousse in bowls and garnish with whipped cream and candied orange.
- Serve immediately.
This needs to be served without refrigerating. If you have to stick it in the refrigerator, the texture changes completely.
Disclaimer: DuClaw Brewing sent me beer to cook with and compensated me for this post. Recipe, photos, and opinions are my own.
I’m linking up with Deborah and Sarah for Meatless Monday.