Thank you DuClaw Brewing for sponsoring this post and sending me the DuClaw Never Tell Me The Odds. All opinions and the brownie recipe are my own.
Welcome to another edition of “Cooking with Beer”! Each month DuClaw Brewing sends me a beer and a friend and I create a recipe. It’s a fun time to think outside the box and try a new beer and new food. This month’s beer is “Never Tell Me The Odds”, a double IPA. This tasty beer comes in at 8% ABV and is a nice blend of hops and malt, resulting in a very drinkable beer. I happen to love the two hops that are used (Citra and Mosaic) and find that the higher alcohol of the double IPAs tend to add a nice sweetness to balance the bitter from the hops.
Since fall is here and cooler temps are arriving, I wanted to make a heavier, more “comfort food” type of meal. I was thinking some sort of soup, but we ended up landing on the idea of pot roast.
Even better (because my co-conspirator is a new dad and I had a cold), we each ended up cooking our own versions. So, you get two recipes for the price of one (as soon as he actually has time to text his to me, which may not happen until baby sleeps through the night LOL). I made my version in my Instant Pot, since I don’t currently have a working oven. Yes, I’m surviving with just a toaster oven until we get the kitchen renovated.
DuClaw Never Tell Me The Odds Pot Roast
- 2-3 lb beef pot roast
- 6 oz DuClaw Never Tell Me The Odds
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 5 small Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 2-4 pieces
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut to similar size as potatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- Heat oil in Instant Pot
- Dust roast with 2 T flour
- Combine dried mushrooms with 6 ounces beer
- Brown all sides of beef
- Remove beef and add beer and mushrooms to Instant Pot
- Use scraper to loosen any cooked on bits and then return beef to Instant Pot
- Add carrots, potatoes, turnips, and onion
- Set Instant Pot to cook for one hour.
- When done, allow pressure to release naturally.
Disclaimer: DuClaw Brewing sent me Never Tell Me The Odds beer to cook with and compensated me for this post. Recipe, photos, and opinions are my own.