I’ve been running regularly for about 13 years now. I started when my teen was just a baby. When I first started, I only owned a couple of tech t-shirts, some compression shorts, and a random pair of running shoes that was on sale. I ran like that for more than four years. When I ran my first race, I wore a pair of men’s running tights because that’s all I could find at the last minute for an unexpectedly cold race.
I’ve come a long way since then!
In fact, I’m wearing four of the brands I love in this picture! (This post contains affiliate links.)
1. Skirt Sports – I’ve loved Skirt Sports from the moment I put on my first Happy Girl skirt. I went instantly from a “I don’t like skirts” girl to a convert. Boom! Since then, my love affair with the skirt has only deepened. I own skirt capris, skirt tights, more Happy Girl skirts than I’m willing to admit. (Shh, I even own a pair of shorts from Skirt Sports.) But more than just loving the way the skirts look on me, I love the way the company is so supportive of women runners. From their Kick Start program, to the 261 Fearless line and virtual race, to a new concept that you may have seen me hashtag a few times #realwomenmove, Skirt Sports is a company I respect. Add in some of the most useful pockets you can find and gorgeous designs and I’m sold. (Yes, I am an Ambassador, but I was an enthusiast long before that. Use code SSMCM20 for 20% off!)
2. Altra Running shoes – Once upon a time, I converted to minimalist shoes. And I hurt myself. As I was coming back from injury, I found myself unable to run in truly minimal shoes, but uncomfortable back in my usual traditional running shoes. I was sent a pair of the Altra Intuition 1.5 to review and found the perfect shoe for me. Zero Drop, but cushioned. I ran 17 half marathons last year in the three pairs I ended up getting. This year, when it came time to train, I needed a new shoe. I’ve recently gotten the Intuition 3 and the One (2). They are AMAZING. I swear I feel like I’m running on clouds when I wear the One(2). (Review coming soon.)
3. Feetures socks – I love thin socks and these are awesome. I have many many pairs. I had the opportunity to try both the wool and the compression socks this winter and I loved them. I will do a full review next week (and may just offer a couple of new pairs from my stash in a giveaway.)
4. Garmin – I tried to love the Bia. I really did. But I ended up jumping ship LONG before they went under. I replaced the Bia with a Garmin 220 and it was the best decision. I actually used it for both 18 milers, a 3 mile, a 5 mile, and a 4 mile run last week – all without recharging it. Seriously, the battery on this thing is ridiculous!
5. Nuun – I have a hard time drinking water unless I’m way overheated or the water is super cold (or fizzy, but that’s hard to run with LOL). Enter Nuun. I love the little bit of flavor it adds and the electrolytes are awesome on a hot day. I may have just ordered 3 new boxes (AKA 12! tubes) to get me through the next few months.
There you have it. The five brands that are supporting me through my crazy adventures. Running would definitely not be the same without them.
Thanks to Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney for hosting their usual awesome Friday Five and Jill for hosting her Fitness Friday!
[Tweet “Thank you to @skirtsports @nuunhydration @altrarunning @garmin @feetures for getting me to the marathon start line!”]
What brands make all the difference for your running???
48 thoughts on “Five brands that make my running life better”
I definitely want to try Nuun. Everyone talks about it but I haven’t looked for it yet in France. I usually only hydrate with water but will check it out in upcoming training. Never tried Altra, I am faithful to Asics and Brooks, switching back and forth. Have a great weekend.
Nuun saves me when it gets hot in Virginia. Both because it replaces electrolytes and because I drink more because I like the taste. Very important to my summer training.
I have heard such great things about the 220! I got the 310xt as a gift but not loving it 🙁
Bummer. I’m not familiar with the 310xt at all.
LOVE Feetures too! I refuse to wear any other sock! I just stocked up on more Nuun for myself. I love the Energy line.
I’m slowly transitioning to only Features, except for when I need compression socks. I just can’t justify all new socks until I wear out my huge collection LOL.
Glad to see you are loving your Altras! I have been running in the Altra Olympus for a while now and I LOVE them. I could not ask for a softer running shoe. I have also been injured for a long time and have been wondering if it has to do with the zero drop design?
For me, transitioning to zero drop messed with my achilles and calf, but now I’m completely adapted. I just need the cushion instead of minimal shoes because I’m a plodder and I run completely on pavement.
I’ve never tried Skirt Sports but I love running skirts so I probably should. They seem to have a very loyal customer base. My garmin 220 is one of my favorite things. Definitely a great watch at a reasonable price point. Have a great weekend!
You should try them. Message me over on Facebook and I can hook you up.
Great list! I could have written your paragraph on Altras nearly word for word…
They are the bomb!
I still prefer compression shorts to skirts, but I’m with you on your other favorites!
I like tush coverage over my compression. ;o)
I love my Garmin! Until I received it from my husband this past Christmas, I depended on RunKeeper on my phone to track all of my running data. While I still input my Garmin data into RunKeeper so that I have a place to track all of my cardio data (from outside, on the treadmill, and the elliptical), I can’t believe how much more accurate and reliable my Garmin is when I’m running outside.
Yeah, I’ve run with multiple different GPS watches, apps, etc. and I find that Garmin is the most consistent.
I love my Altras! The one 2 is simply awesome. I am also a Torin girl, I think the Torin update is out soon.. and I can’t wait!
Isn’t it? I swear I feel like I’m running on a cloud when I wear those.
I’m obsessed with Garmin and Nuun too! They make my running life, and regular life, so much brighter! The watermelon flavor is my new addiction.
I don’t think I’ve tried the watermelon. That sounds yummy!
I was a convert with my first skirt too. It was amazing and now that’s what I run in when it’s warm out. I still wear capris when it’s on the colder side, but now I’ll wear skirts, even to run at the gym.
I’ve become addicted to the capris with skirts when it’s cooler. I love the look and it keeps my tush warmer.
omg yes the garmin 220. i’m going to write a review soon but i LOVE that thing. such a difference from my garmin 10. love.it. have a great weekend!
I don’t even use all of the features and I still think it’s awesome LOL.
My Garmin is so important to my running! And I adore my Altras. I’m still in the original Torins, but since I only have one pair left unworn, I need to try either the newer torins or maybe another style. The zero drop took a while to get used to but I love them now!
I love love love the One(2). I’m considering a second pair for my race. Such awesome shoes.
I won a pair of Feetures socks from a blogger and they are awesome! I definitely love my NUUN. I don’t like gatorade or other traditional electrolyte drinks but NUUN oh yeah!
Aren’t they awesome? I have a huge collection now LOL.
I don’t even know how we made it in life before Garmin; I can barely remember running without one! Some folks will tell me about how they “like the app I use on my phone just fine” until they finally break down and buy one; they always convert – ha! 😉 Thanks for sharing your faves with us and I hope you have a great weekend!
I’m totally addicted to mine. I hate the phone apps – they kill my battery.
Great list! I too love my Nuun. I don’t know what I would do without it!
Seriously, best stuff ever.
I love my Tommie Copper ankle sleeve, Mizuno sneaks, and TP Therapy Total Body Kit! They really make a dif in my running!
Oh, yeah, those ankle sleeves were awesome when I was having issues. I’m going to have to check out that Total Body Kit…
So many great ones on your list! I almost put Garmin too! I’m loving my new watch. And I love Nuun too.
I ran out of nuun before my run yesterday. I was so sad. Hoping my new shipment comes today…
I love the pockets on SkirtSports skirt! Thin socks are a MUST. I’m not sure my Garmin 110 would hold up to all those miles without charge, but I still love it.
I shove so much in them, it’s kind of ridiculous! I only bought the 220 because my old one died, but it’s pretty awesome.
I need to find a Garmin that lasts! When i ran the marathon last year it crapped out at 26.2 miles exactly so at least that’s on record but with tangents I hadn’t crossed the finish line yet… grr!
Do you have the 220?? Seriously, the battery is amazing. I think I could run both of my back to backs with it and be fine.
Obviously I also love Skirt! I am collecting way too many (not enough ) Skirts and Pro Compression socks since becoming an ambassador for those comapnies! And I’m becomnig addicted to Nuun too. Like you, I can’t really drink water unless I’m super hot or it’s flavored in some way. I’m also going to upgrade to a Garmin soon. I’m glad you like yours and think it has great battery life!
I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as too many skirts LOL.
I only wish I hadn’t wasted time and money on the Bia and had gone straight to the Garmin. Oh well, live and learn.
You are so right! The battery on my garmin 310XT is ridiculous, I feel like I never have to charge that thing, on that note since I am not in the habit of chagrining it regularly I have run out of juice on runs lol.
I have never tried sport skirts of any kind but you are such an enthusiastic convert, I may need to check these out!
Yeah, I’ve gotten in trouble with not charging too…
Make sure you use my discount when you try out a skirt!
I will! The Vixen skirt looks SO cute! I think I am going to have to go for it… I wonder if it would make it here in time to test it out before the Vancouver half 😀
So many of my favorites here!
I don’t wear my Altra Intuitions for running (I pronate and am afraid of getting hurt), but they are magical for when I’m at work. The zero drop shoes make it feel like I’m barely wearing anything at all, but I’m getting the protection of the cushioning. It’s a huge win win.
Do you wear any of Altra’s stability shoes? I’ve never tried those, but I’ve heard good things.
Of course you know I love Skirt Sports! I’ve never tried Altra and am curious to know what you think. As for the rest double thumbs up! Great picks!