Traveling is my jam. Before we had kids, Beer Geek and I traveled to a fair number of foreign countries: Germany, Belgium (multiple times), Iceland, Scotland, Australia, the Netherlands, and the Azores (Portuguese Islands) in our first 6 years of marriage. Since kids, most of our vacations have been in the US (often in less traveled areas) although we did manage a family vacation to Ireland and we took Jones to Belgium once. So, the hardest part of creating this Friday Five for me was limiting it to five. Because really? I want to see all the things and travel to all the places. Check out Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia‘s blogs for more cool places to go.
Here are the top five places on my current list, including the race I want to do while there. I know.(And with all the places on earth to see, only one of them is someplace I’ve never been.)
- Iceland – Beer Geek and I went to Iceland for 3 days on our way to Scotland about 15 years ago. I already know that I want it to coincide with the Reykjavik (half) Marathon. (Spoiler: this is on our plan for 2017.) Photo source: race website.
- Australia/New Zealand – I love Sydney, Australia and would love to go back, but even more I really want to go see the Uluru Rock and run the Australian Outback (half) Marathon. Then I want to pop over to New Zealand and check that out while we are down there. Photo source: race website.
- Alaska – If I could choose a place to move to, Alaska would be high on the list, at least for a summer home. Beer Geek and I did a small boat cruise for our honeymoon and then spent a few days in Juneau. A few years ago, we took the boys to Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula. I did manage to run a 10 mile race while there, but I really want to get back to do the Skagway Half Marathon (I admit the tagline scares me just a little: 5% tough, 95% brutal.) Photo source: race website.
- The Grand Canyon – would you believe I’ve never been there? I grew up traveling all over the US (I had all 48 continental states before Beer Geek and I married.) But somehow I missed this awesome piece of the US. I’d love to do Rim to Rim to Rim, but that may never happen as I have no place to train for it. I’ll likely have to settle for the Grand Canyon Half Marathon. Photo source: race website.
- Hawaii – If you’ve been hanging around here long, you know I’m not exactly a beaches and warm weather kind of girl. However, the plan is for Hawaii to be my 50th half marathon state. I loved Kauai when we visited many years ago, so my race choice would be the Kauai (Half) Marathon. (I think I’m at 23 states, but I’ll be adding at least 7 in 2016, so only a few more years…) Photo source: race website.
Where do you want to visit? Will it include a race?