Confession: This week I’m most excited about Sunday, not Friday. This has been a rough week with me having a minor stomach bug at the beginning of the week and Shoo coming down with it yesterday. Add in a cat who is having stomach issues again with the added bonus of either a UTI or bladder stone and I’m exhausted. I’m looking forward to running 17.75 on Saturday because it’s a great race, but I’m not excited about the 0’dark 30 wake up time in order to get to the parking (an hour away) by 5:30 am. So Sunday is my highlight this week. I can actually sleep in!
Unfortunately, when I’m stressed and tired, I become and eating machine. And this has been a stressful spring. Yeah. Awesome. So since the topic for today’s Friday 2.0 with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness is “food”, I’m going to share the foods I’ve been obsessed with lately. At least not all of them are unhealthy…
- Avocado – I LOVE avocados. I use them in place of mayo on sandwiches and sour cream in soups or tacos. Lately I’ve also been adding them instead of cheese to my salads. Heck, sometimes I just take out the pit, pour in salsa and eat it with a spoon. Luckily, Shoo has an avocado obsession as well, so I only ever get half of one at a time as he grabs the other half.
- Banana peppers – I bought these for the roast pork sandwiches and have discovered that I can eat them straight from the jar. I don’t do that often, but I have been adding them to scrambled eggs, sandwiches, salads… They add a lot of flavor for not a lot of calories!
- Texas Jack’s Chicken Wings – OK, I admit, I don’t like chicken wings usually. There’s something about the texture that I don’t like. But these guys smoke the wings before the fry them and the spices that they use make them so good that I am able to look past my sensory issues. Luckily we don’t go there that often, so I think about them a lot, but don’t actually partake regularly.
- Tater Tots – Shoo has been begging for Tater Tots lately, so I bought them. Now I’m addicted. Seriously – they are a food that goes well with every meal, including breakfast. I’ve been loving them with runny eggs in the morning. I do need to break this habit though or none of my skirts will fit!
- Ciabatta bread – I’m a carboholic and bread is my drug of choice. I bought a bunch of these for the beer dinner we hosted and quite a few ended up in the freezer. I’ve been pulling them out and toasting them for the occasional lunch. They are completely addictive, so I will not be buying more anytime soon. I swear they go right to my thighs!
I suppose as foods go, most of these aren’t too bad, but I certainly need to scale back on portions and how often I eat them. Now if I could just get my cars, the house, the cat, and the kids to stop costing money and stressing me out, I might be able to break the stranglehold of the Ciabatta!
18 thoughts on “Five foods I’ve been obsessed with lately”
Need to,try the broccoli and cauliflower tots.
If I’m super stressed I lose my appetite. When my mom’s recovery went so badly, I actually kept losing weight. Half the time I barely had time to eat.
I have times when I totally obsess about food but right now I can’t think of any. Except, if course, chocolate. 🙂
Great, now I’m totally craving loaded tots and wings and it’s definitely only 8:20 am!! I’m definitely a stress eater. In the moment my appetite goes away but when I’m recovering from the stress I want to eat all the things.
I hope that you are feeling better. Stomach bugs are the worst!
I’m also a carbaholic and love bread. Ciabatta bread is so yummy!
I love avocado all the time! I have been eating sweet potatoes a lot lately as well. I am also a bread lover now I want to make some this weekend
When I’m stressed it depends if there’s food around….if there is, I’m eating it. If there’s not, I’m not looking for it. Sorry things have been a little crazy for you lately. I love chicken wings but haven’t had any really good ones in a long time (I’m from Buffalo so I’m very picky!).
I love avocados but they are always so darn pricey. I only get them when they are on sale.
Stress takes my appetite away. But I just had some ciabatta with avocado and egg for breakfast. Holy yum! Love me some banana peppers too!
Sometimes when I’m stressed, I want to eat, but I don’t want to eat what I have in the house. That’s always a struggle, because my stomach’s growling, but I want something else.
I just like to eat! I have to watch when I get bored then I eat even more! I have been adding strawberries to everything- comes with the territory! Good luck this weekend 🙂 and have fun!
TOOOOOTS! I love tots. And avocados are always at the top of my list.
I go through phases with food obsessions. During peak 26.2 training season, I’m allover rice cakes with peanut butter and raspberry jam (and I typically don’t care for peanut butter unless it comes in a Reese’s wrapper). This week, I’ve been OD’ing on trail mix…and not necessarily the healthy kind…
Yums!! Avocados are the best!!
Carboholic!! that is an awesome word! I’m going to start using it!
I’m not really a stress eater, I just love to eat all the time..haha!!! I am obsessed with avocados and I do love pickled banana peppers too 🙂
I too am obsessed with avocados, to the point where I will eat them when they are turning brown. Is this a bad thing?
I LOVE banana peppers! Salty with a little spicy/vinegary kick. Yum!
Have a great race!!!
The Wasatch Brewery in Park City had the best tater tots — I had to ski a few extra runs to balance them out! Have fun Sunday!
I’m definitely a stress eater. I wish that I could be better about controlling what I eat when I’m stressed, but I find so much comfort in the food.