I’m sitting in a hotel in Pennsylvania, up way later than I’d planned. I thought I’d write this post earlier today, but a week of things like urgent care visits, kids home sick, and soccer practice gone awry led to a day of scrambling to get ready to leave. Thankfully, the traffic leaving DC was only sort of awful and we made good time once we got past Baltimore, so I have a few minutes to write. And I’m not running tomorrow, so it’s all good. ;o)
36 hours from now, I’ll be embarking on one of my crazier adventures. I’ve been a little taper crazy this week, but now that we have started the fun, I’m pretty chill. All that remains is to actually do it.
1. Shower. Don’t ask me why, but I feel the need to be clean before I get sweaty. I don’t do this before every single race, but it is a frequent pre-race activity. I don’t get my hair wet though – blow drying it takes too much time and who wants to start a race with wet hair? Yes, I’m quirky. I know.
2. Eat an almond butter and jelly sandwich. This is non-negotiable. And yes, I will be sneaking jelly out of the hotel tomorrow to use before my race on Saturday. Shh, don’t tell.
3. Drink a cup of coffee and a glass of nuun. This wakes me up, hydrates me, and umm, clears the system.
4. Coat my face and hands in sunblock (and whatever other body parts might show). Yes, even in the winter. I have super pale skin and sunburn easily, so I put sunblock on before every single race. Somehow I’ve still managed to get tan lines. Oops.
5. Play around on social media. What can I say? It’s my pre-race stress release. I look to see who else is running the same race, check to see if anything interesting is happening on Facebook, maybe tweet a couple of times… Anything to keep my mind off of the impending race LOL.
In between, I’m usually scrambling to find a shoe or second guessing the amount of clothing I’m wearing or trying to figure out where the race is. (Yeah, I’m not very good at planning before race day.)
How about you? What’s your quirky race day ritual?