Today’s topic for Friday Five with Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia is “Five things I was doing a decade ago”. Hmm, there are a lot of things I was doing a decade ago, but if I look back at 2005, I can think of 3 things I was doing and 2 things I wasn’t…
1. The biggest thing I had going on 10 years ago was Shoo. I was pregnant with him for most of 2005 and gave birth to him at home on October 31, 2005. Yes, I had a baby at home intentionally and yes, he was born on Halloween.
2. I was trying to figure out the stay at home mom gig. I never planned to be a stay at home mom, but circumstances led to me deciding to take a year off from work. 10 years later, I’m still only working part-time. File this under: not at all my original plan.
3. I was not sleeping. Jones didn’t sleep through the night until he turned four. That’s right, I got to sleep through the night for less than 3 weeks before I had a newborn. And if you’ve been pregnant, you know what the sleep in the last few weeks is like. (Who knew that he was really just training me for Ragnar???)
4. We celebrated our 10th anniversary by going away for 2 nights. It was our first kid free vacation since Jones had been born and was the last one for another four years. It was lovely to sleep through the night for once.
5. I was NOT running. I excel at a lot of things, but getting and staying pregnant was not one of them, so as soon as I saw the line on the stick, I quit running. I wish I had stayed more active than just chasing Jones around, because I gained a ton of weight. Fortunately, my pregnancy was pretty routine and I dropped the weight by the time Shoo was 5 months. (A kid with food allergies will do that to you.) If you had told me then that 10 years later I would be running all.the.time., would have completed 4 marathons, and would be suffering from a serious race addiction, I’d never have believed you.
What were you doing 10 years ago? Is there anything you are doing today that you never would have expected to be doing now?
19 thoughts on “Five things I was doing a decade ago”
Wow! What a difference 10 years makes!! The not sleeping part is the thing that scares me most of potentially having kids…
looks like 2005 gave you a precious gift! I can tell you that 10 years ago I was DEFINITELY getting more sleep than I do now….lol
I was definitely sleeping a lotttt more 10 years ago than I do now. :[ It’s crazy how much of a difference 10 years makes!
This was a great post for you to do! You were having a baby 10 years ago – what could be better?! Congratulations 10 years late!
I would have not believed that I would have become a runner either 10 years ago!
Well I had just started running about 10 years ago and never ever thought I would have started my own running group! fun to look back isn’t it?
10 years ago I wasn’t running, and its something that I never imagined I’d start doing, let alone would become a huge part of my life!
I realized my first cruise was 10 years ago but I don’t believe it’s been 10 years. Then I think back to everything that happened in the decade!
10 yrs ago I had my 2nd son – there was no running back then, but a lot of Pilates 🙂 What a difference 10 yrs makes!
aw look at the baby pics 🙂 so cute!
Ten years ago, I was graduating from my undergrad degree, went on a month long backpacking adventure around Europe, and then begun my next degree. So crazy, and cliche, that time goes by so fast! And really, I probably didn’t think that down the road in ten years that I would be where I am now, but I am!
OMG!!! Doesn’t it just go by so quickly? I’m going to blink and be talking about my kids this way.
I love reading about how much everyone’s relationship with running has changed.
Great list. I was not running either 10 years ago. Birth of a child does make for a good year, though not a lot of sleep, in my experience at least, haha.
Ten years ago my eldest was almost 18 and at uni and the youngest was almost 11 and in primary school. I had one in every level of education. Luckily the eldest could drive by then because it would have been challenging getting them to where they needed to go when they were going in all different directions. Apart from that I have no idea what I was doing but I know I was running. Always running.
A lot has happened in your 10 years! I wonder what the next 10 years will bring.
Love this – how fun to look back at that year for you. I want to hear more about your home birth sometime!
So fun to see your kiddos when they were so little! Such important things happening for your ten years ago!!!
I had a 2 year old at home and was not running. I didn’t find running again for 3 more years. Kind of crazy to think about it!
I feel your pain on your 4 year old not sleeping through the night. Reid is almost 4 and still sleeping through the night!!
ahhh 10 years ago I was living the SLOW LIFE and had no idea 🙂
I thought it was fast back then 🙂