It’s Friday, Fr-Fr-Fr-Friday! Yay! This week has just seemed so very long. Thankfully, I’m mostly recovered from the Marine Corps Marathon. I’ve run twice and done a workout on the elliptical and my legs feel pretty good. I do have a couple of unhappy toes still, as apparently when you’ve already lost the toenail, there isn’t much protection there. No, I won’t share a picture. You’re welcome. I am still floating along on my marathon high though, so there is that. And I made it to the gym today where I did my first upper body workout in, umm, months.
Anyways, we made it to Friday and I’m joining in on the new Friday Five 2.0 with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness. Today’s topic is “5 Things You Don’t Know About Me”. Some of these I’ve mentioned before, but not in a while.
- If I don’t write it down, it didn’t happen. I remember things by writing them down. If I write it down, I can pull up a mental picture of the page and “read” what I wrote. This is one of the many reasons that a Bullet Journal is totally working for me. I’ve been using one for almost a month and it is exactly what I needed.
- I have a horrible time remember names, but I’ll always remember your face. If I see someone regularly (at the store or on the metro, etc.) and then see them randomly somewhere else, it causes me a lot of confusion because I’ll recognize their face and not be able to remember their name. It always takes me a while to realize that I never knew their name in the first place. (I have also been known to forget names of people I’ve known for years when it comes time to introduce them to someone. Thankfully, I’ve always been this way, so I’m pretty sure it’s not early onset dementia…)
- Shoo was born upstairs in our bedroom. Yes, this was by choice. Yes, it was the most amazing and empowering experience of my life. Yes, I do have an incredible tolerance for pain. Why do you think I like to run marathons?
- I ran my very first race in March 2007 at age 37, a year before I started blogging. In the nearly 10 years since, I’ve run 6 marathons, 62 half marathons, 5 10 milers, and a bunch of shorter races. In that time, I’ve raced in 38 states +DC (33+DC as half marathons). I’ve broken 2:00 in the half marathon a couple of times, but I’m still trying to break 4:30 in the marathon. I feel like I should celebrate 10 years of racing next spring. Guess I need to find an awesome race to run.
- I love vegetables. In fact, I have a bit of an addiction to cauliflower. I would eat it every day (and did when I was pregnant with Shoo.) But I also enjoy brussels sprouts, salads, green beans, okra, etc. and I don’t mind things like radishes and eggplant. Seriously, there is only one vegetable that I do NOT like: beets. And yet I’ve tasted beets about a million times because everyone thinks that if I just try their version, I’ll become a beet convert. Nope. Always tastes like dirt.
I can’t believe that none of my facts are related to beer. I may just have to do another Friday Five about five beer related things from MCM Mama LOL.
But I’m feeling a little lost this week with only one more race this year (“only” 5 miles) and then nothing until near the end of April (Ragnar Trail Richmond). It just feels so… wrong.
13 thoughts on “Five things you might not know about me…”
I did not know your son was born at home wow! The toe nails yes takes a few weeks to feel better after it comes off. Have a great weekend!
I’m such a list person. I have to have a grocery list every week, otherwise I’d forget something. I write down what strength exercises I want to do that day, and strictly go by that. And I write down Christmas presents. That one I do because it’s fun to buy them and cross them off the list. Makes me feel productive during the holiday season.
I never seem to have a good set of toe nails. I’ve gotten a pedicure once in the last three years because my nails are horrible.
HAHA, I love beets but I know most people don’t. The one vegetable I can’t stand is Lima beans. Just gross.
I’m the same as you are with needing to write things down. I’ve always got my notebook with me at work so I can make sure I don’t forget any important information!
Glad to hear the recovery from MCM is going well! I think celebrating 10 years of racing sounds awesome, I’m sure you’ll find some way to celebrate 🙂
I’m the same way, if I don’t write it down…it didn’t happen or I don’t remember to do it! Umm, that’s a whole lot of races you’ve completed!!! WOW!
Congratulations on your Marathon! that is amazing!
that is a lot of states! What an incredible achievement!
I am with you on the beets!! can’t !! just can’t!
LOL! what will you do with all your spare time with only one race coming up? I love vegetables too but beets happen to be one of my favorites! You are a champ for giving birth at home- that is amazing and I did not know anyone did that anymore! fun post!
First, let’s talk about this confusion thing. Because OMG. I see people I know all the time but I don’t recognize them for squat and then I feel like a jerk when I realize who it was an hour later… But I totally get so confused and it throws my whole balance out of whack when I see someone and can’t put a face to a name right away.
Second, you had a home birth? I so wanted one with my son. That was the plan, actually, but of course we couldn’t find a practitioner willing to come to our home. Congrats to you. <3
38 states is amazing!!! 62 halves also has me wowed! I’m headed to my 4th marathon tomorrow! EEK!
Great learning new things about you, I am going to have to check out this bullet journal thing….I need help remembering.
Go mama! Home births are impressive- and this explains all the running now. It doesn’t touch what you’ve already done at home. 😉
I like all vegetables too, even beets. Have you tried them with pickled eggs? I do not think the beets tastes like dirt at all when they are are in the same juice with the eggs. I am horrible at names too. I see the same faces in my group fitness class each week and never remember their names the following week. But they always remember mine of course, since I am the instructor.