The time: Year 2020. The place: probably still DC. The reason: Courtney, Mar, and Cynthia asked.
Five years from now is kind of a big year for us. Here’s why:
1. I’ll be turning 50. I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around this one. I don’t feel like I’m 5 years away from 50. Didn’t I just turn 21 a few weeks ago? How on earth has time passed that fast?
2. I’ll have finished racing in all 50 states. I’ve already done 33 states if I count all distances of races and 18 states if I count only half marathons or longer. I’ll be adding 3 totally new states and replacing two shorter races when I run the 6 half marathons in 6 days at the beginning of September. (Bonus: I will hit my 40th half marathon AND my 45th half marathon during that race series.)
3. Jones will be heading off to college. Seriously??? I’m pretty sure he was just born.
4. Beer Geek will be eligible to retire. Crazy! Not that he’ll get to – see #3.
5. Beer Geek and I will have been married 25 years! Given the combination of a big number anniversary and a big number birthday, I’d like to say we will do something spectacular. But, well, see #3, sigh.
On the fitness front, I do plan to still be running, but I have a feeling I’ll have scaled back the crazy a bit. Hopefully I’ll still be fit enough and have time enough to run half marathons, but if not, as long as I’m still moving, I’ll roll with it. The next five years will be interesting, to say the least.
Where do you think you’ll be in 5 years???
17 thoughts on “Gazing into the future: 2020”
It’s such a trip to think about five years into the future. A kid in college? That is crazy since you’re just barely legal 🙂
Great list! So cool that you’ll finish race in all 50 states! I’m dreading the cost of college when my kiddos get there.
My list looks pretty much like yours (except running in all the States part… that is such a huge accomplishment and the hubby retirement). I will too be 50 and an empty nester. Scary !
wow! 2020 is a big year for you! I feel to say congrats but its a little premature! …at least you got lots of (and more) exciting stuff to look forward to!
Thanks for the inspiration!
Wow! I can’t imagine having a kid in college. Mine will only be 7 in 5 years so I’ve got a ways to go.
I love the running in all 50 states. That’s awesome!
It sure is weird to think about being 50 isn’t it? I have that on my 5 year as well. So cool that you will have finished racing in all 50 states too. Fun post to do!
That darn college, right? I can’t believe I’ve been out of college for 8 years. The time really does fly. I’m thinking “wait, what?” as I get closer to each reunion.
I hope i’ll still be running in 5 years but chances are i’ll have to scale back my distances.
It really is a trip to think about how much time has passed! My boyfriend and I are coming up on our 8 year anniversary this year- and I feel like I just met him! That and I’m going to be 30 next year- I agree, didn’t I just turn 21?
Great list! In 5 years I’m hoping to hear those amazing words “Stacey, you are an Ironman!”
Sometimes I do wish I’d started running earlier. I think I’ll be 70 before I get my 50 (but I started at 50!).
I think to just keep moving is the most important thing.
Just revised #3 to add “… with a full ride scholarship to his school of choice” and you are all set for the rest! 😉
5 years and I will have two teenagers in the house (but they were just in diapers!), I will have been a nurse for 20 years (wtf I just graduated)
love this! I hope to have made quite a dent on my 50 states list in 5 years too!
50 is not bad! Trust me on this one! It’s just a number. We’ll have an empty nest and I hope we can travel more!
HERE (literally Im not moving again)
and besides THAT PIECE absolutely no idea. 🙂
Wow! It’ll be incredible to have raced in all 50 states!