I’ve run a lot of races. I don’t actually know how many, but when I’ve done 51 half marathons and 5 marathons and a ton of other distances including two relays and three 17.75s, one could assume that I’m likely reaching the 100 race mark (OK, I admit, I actually went to Athlinks after this and checked and I’ve done at least 108), which is kind of crazy when you think about the fact that my very first race was in 2007!
With that many races comes a LOT of swag. Most of the time, it takes the form of a t-shirt (and a medal if it’s a longer race). But every once in a while, the race director departs from the standard and gives out something useful.
Here are some of my favorites:
- Glasses – I’ve gotten a few glasses (although I admit to being a bit fuzzy on which ones I was given versus which ones I bought). My favorite one that I know was given to me was a huge mug from Harpoon Brewery. And we got it for doing a race that was barely longer than a 5k!
- Necklaces – I’ve also gotten a few necklaces, instead of or part of a medal. I admit that the Nike Women’s Half is the one I wear most.
- Hats – My favorite summer hat I got for the 25th anniversary of the Army 10 Miler. I wear it all.the.time. My favorite winter hat is the one I got from Runner’s World Festival this last year. It’s reversible and fuzzy on one side and smooth on the other. Perfect for all temps of winter running.
- Blankets – One of our local 5ks gives blankets instead of shirts and the Richmond Marathon gives a blanket in addition to the shirt. Both races give a lightweight fleece that’s super cuddly.
- Socks – I have quite a number of socks that I received from races. That’s where I first got introduced to Features, who I’m currently an ambassador for.
As you can tell, my preference is for things I can actually use. I do love medals, I won’t pretend that I don’t, but I’m not a huge fan of shirts and I have enough clutter in my house thanks to two kids.
What would my dream swag be? I would certainly love to get more beer related items. Does that surprise anyone at all? Or a skirt – I’d love it if I could get a Skirt Sports Marine Corps Marathon skirt. Not too much to ask, right? (Yeah, ok, I’ll settle for a shirt that actually fits me this year. Two MCM’s under my belt and zero shirts I can wear…)
What awesome things have you gotten? What would you love to get in your runner bag? Hmm, a nice bag would be cool…