At the beginning of the year, I declared
“This year is going to be epic. I just know it. After all, 13 is my lucky number.”
And so far, it has been. I trained hard, I broke myself, and yet, somehow, I accomplished my big goal of finishing my five half marathons in five days. Definitely finished upright and smiling. So where do I go from here?
I think it’s time to get back on track with food, bring in some cross training, and live my life for a little while. Because I already have my sites set on another 5 in 5.
That’s right. I enjoyed it so much, I’m doing it again. Riverboat Series, you will be mine.
Until then, the plan is one half marathon a month, with back to back halves in Rhode Island and Connecticut in October.
Why yes, I have drunk the koolaid… And achieved “Earth” status on Half Fanatics.
And just in case you were wondering how I’m doing on my 2013 goals, well, I’m feeling pretty darn good about them.
I have one major goal for running this year: Don’t hurt myself. (OK, I hurt myself, but I bounced back.)
Everything else is just details.
- Finish my five half marathons in five days. Preferably upright and smiling. Knocked this out of the park!!!
- Run 13 half marathons in 2013 (mix of Virtual and IRL). 7 done already (2 virtual, 5 IRL)
- Run 13 IRL races (not exactly difficult when 7 will be done by the end of March.) 5 done since I had to cancel two due to injury
- Run races in at least 6 states (again, not that hard when 5 will be done in one week.) 5 done. Two new states still planned for the year + 3 repeats
- If all goes well, think about using all that mileage to train for a full in May/June and/or run 2013 miles in 2013. (This one TOTALLY hinges on succeeding with number 1.) Nope, throwing away this goal. Replacing it with becoming a serial half marathon runner. I have races planned for April, May, June, August and October (2 back to back) I should be able to find September and November without too much trouble.
- Get the kids moving with me. Just bought them inline skates, which they love.
- Cut down on the sugar and the cheese. Aiming for added sugar only 2x per week and no more than one cheese serving a day. Starting Mommy Run Faster’s sugar detox today.
- Get in 2 non-running workouts each week. I’m going to Boot Camp + I signed up for another round of weekly yoga.
- Figure out how to fuel myself for the major mileage I’ve been doing and have healthy food ready to go when the “mileage hungries” hit. Big old failure so far. Really packed on the weight during my build up to the five halves
- Buy the stupid bike that I’ve been talking about for two years. Sure. Whatever.
- Continue working for my awesome boss at my job that I enjoy. Get better at balancing my priorities. Got it.
- Stop working late at night. Doing better, sort of. Gotten into the habit of reading late into the night. Not sure that’s an improvement.
- Enjoy the heck out of working the NWM half in DC. This will take over my life shortly. Can’t wait.
- Join BURP (a local homebrew club). Really going to do this this year. Yeah, still need to work on that.
- Brew a batch of beer at home. Ok, at least finish buying the equipment I need. I think I’m going to let this go. I just don’t have the time or space.
- Go out with Beer Geek without the kids at least once every two weeks. Doing pretty good on this.
- Take a trip with Beer Geek. Already got this one booked… Done!
- Continue to slowly clean out the clutter in our house. This year’s focus is turning the playroom into an office by the time summer arrives (the basement is not air conditioned…) Time to focus on this.
Yeah, 2013, it’s pretty epic, in a completely fun kind of way. ;o)
16 thoughts on “Goals Revisited”
What are the halves you’re doing in Conn. and R.I.? I wish you hadn’t done Maine. I’d talk you into doing Shipyard with me.
Any chance you’re doing the Rock and Roll half in R.I.? I just realized I’m signed up for that in Sept. I did it last year and liked it.
I think it’s the United Healthcare Half. It’s in October.
When is the Riverboat series?
It’s supposed to be next April.
Love the “Don’t Get Hurt” goal, this is mine too! Good luck with the sugar detox, I’m in too!
Yeah, so far the hardest part was not eating the crust from my son’s PB&J. LOL.
2013 is going great for you! I’m so excited and you are right, it is time to look at 2014! Riverboat in April? I need the first 3 states and it starts on a Saturday (awesome).
Yes, let’s chat about this. My parents have already agreed to come to the kids again…
Looks like you are having a great 2013 so far, and only 3 months in! Horray for becoming a serial half marathoner! I LOVE halves too.
Homebrewing is so much fun. I hope you get a chance to try it. My husband and I haven’t brewed lately, but we have a bit in the past.
Beer Geek homebrewed before we had kids. We just don’t have a whole lot of time for it these days.
Your goals are amazing, and I love how much you have already gotten done!
When is the riverboat series taking place?
You don’t do things by halves do you? You must have enjoyed those runs a lot to be signing up again. And the rest of your year looks pretty jam-packed too. It’s inspiring.
I have the same major goal after a 2012 full of race deferments and more PT than I care to admit too – stay healthy.
Boy your icing on the cake looks great. You are killing it!
YOU ARE AMAZING.
It sounds like you have a lot of great goals for every area of your life. You’ve already made such great progress with so many of them.