Today’s challenge for Elf for Health is to make a Gratitude List of 20 things we are grateful for. While there are way more than 20 awesome people and things in my life, here are the ones that came to mind. Some are big and some are little, but they all make my life better.
1. Beer Geek – We’ve been together almost 20 years. No person (or marriage) is perfect, but after 20 years, he’s still my favorite person to hang out with. He doesn’t just put up with my running. He supports it, instigates new crazy ideas, and drives me around the country pursuing my dreams.
2. Jones – This child has challenged me since day 1. He’s made me more open-minded, more patient, and more tired than I ever thought possible. I am in awe of his intelligence and musical ability and can’t wait to see where he goes in life.
3. Shoo – From the time I found him standing on the dining room table at 10 months, I knew my life would never be calm again. He moves through life with the subtlety of a bull in a china shop. He keeps me on my toes and keeps me laughing every day.
4. My mom – We’ve always been close and she’s still the first person I call when I have a problem or good news to share. She’s always there for me and she’s an amazing, awesome grandma to my boys.
5. My dad – My favorite running mate, financial adviser, home repair dude, travel companion, and beer drinking buddy. The best part of running is the chance to run and chat with my dad.
6. My friends and family – I have such an incredible network of people in my life that it’s hard to put it into words. No matter what is going on, there is someone to support me, remind me of reality, or act as my partner in crime.
7. My boss – I’m very lucky in that I work for one of my closest friends. Not only does he constantly challenge my knowledge and abilities (and push me out of my comfort zone) at work, but he truly embraces the concept of my kids come first and does everything he can to work with me when life gets a little crazy. (That’s him photobombing me LOL.)
8. My job(s) – Not only do the jobs I do fund my lifestyle choices, but they also fulfill me. My main job challenges my intellect and organizational skills on a regular basis. My side gigs usually involve working at a race. Getting paid to spend time with runners and promote a healthy lifestyle? Yes, please.
9. Running – I ran my way out of postpartum depression. For that alone, I will always be thankful for running. Since then, running has brought me this blog, tons of friends, and lots of amazing experiences. It also keeps the size of my rear in check. Win!
10. Travel – Growing up as a military brat, I had the opportunity to see much of the United States. Since meeting and marrying Beer Geek, we’ve continued to explore this amazing world we live in. I’ve been to all 50 states (most of them several times) and many countries. I value the perspective I get from seeing the how others live.
11. My house – We live in an amazing location near Washington, DC in an old house with tons of personality. While I might whine about the traffic and the cost of living, I wouldn’t trade my house for anything.
12. My education – I have a Masters in Library Science from one of the top schools in that field. While I am not currently working in my field, the skills I learned and the way of thinking we were taught have helped me in every aspect of my life. As I constantly tell Beer Geek, I may not always know the answer, but I have the skills to find the answer.
13. My health and fitness – I work hard to stay in shape and eat right, but I’m also lucky to have been blessed with healthy genes. I tend not to get sick often and thus far have only had minor injuries (knock wood). While I may not always love the way my body looks, I’m thankful everyday for the things it allows me to do.
14. My children’s teachers – Our school system is a good system, but what makes our experience great is the teachers my kids have had over the years. They have loved, challenged, and understood my children in ways that I never thought possible.
15. This blog- I’ve met some amazing people, gotten to do some awesome things, and had a place to journal my crazy adventures!
16. Beer and the people that go with it – I love a good craft beer. But even more than the beer, I love the events we’ve gone to, the people we’ve met, and the experiences we’ve had. The beer community is similar to the running community in many ways and I’m so glad we are involved in it.
17. The running community – From other runners, to race directors, to volunteers, these are some of the most supportive and awesome people I’ve ever met. I’d run even if the community didn’t exist, but these people take running from something I do for health to something I do for the social aspect of it.
18. Coffee – As a night owl, some days coffee is the only way I can function when the alarm goes off. I’ve developed a deep love for the stuff in general and a slight addiction to Godiva brand in particular.
19. My fuzzy pink robe – There is no fashion statement associated with this robe, except maybe “people of Walmart”. It’s like a cross between a Snuggie and Forever Lazy. My mom gave me two of them when Jones was a baby in the middle of winter and I kept having to get out of bed in my cold house in the middle of the night. It’s still my favorite thing to put on when I’m feeling chilled (and I’m wearing it as I type this LOL).
20. Books – I love to read. I read for research, for stress release, and often just for fun. A happy day is one spent curled on the couch with a book, my fuzzy pink robe, and a cup of coffee.
I’m also thankful for all my readers, so here are the winners of my giveaway! Email me at mom2shoo at gmail.com ASAP with your address as I want to go to the post office on Tuesday!