This has been a really weird “training cycle” for me. I use “training” loosely as I haven’t actually followed a plan. I knew loosely what I wanted to accomplish as far as long runs went, but I was pretty laid back about it. So laid back in fact, that I never really planned things on a calendar and suddenly I’m just 9 days out from the race.
How did that happen? I was planning 13 miles today, but I’ve decided that with my crabby calf, I’m not going to risk it. I’m going to put in a nice easy 8 or so and call it good. But that means my last long run (all 12 miles of it) will be three weeks out from the race. Who tapers for three weeks for a half marathon? Sheesh!
The funny part is that I’m really unconcerned. I’m not shooting to PR and there’s a wicked hill in the first half that could tear my calf up (going up or down, I have trouble with both). Whatever. It’ll work out. Or I’ll have a really long walk.
What am I concerned about?
- Finishing my filing today.
- Coordinating kid pick up next Friday when I’m out of town.
- Whether my new Skirt Sports skirt will arrive in time (why yes, I have drunk the water.)
- Which pair of Vibrams I’m going to wear (still kind of freaking out at the thought of running a half in them.)
What am I excited about?
- Seeing T again.
- My first night away from the boys AND my husband in 10 years (yeah, that’s a long time coming.)
- Meeting Rene.
- Meeting any other bloggers that are heading down to the Blue Ridge Marathon/Half Marathon. (Email me at mom2shoo at gmail.com if you are going to be there. Oh, and it looks like you can still sign up… You know you want to meet me LOL.)
I think this tapering is messing with my brain.