I saw a post on Miss Zippy this week about what makes you happy. I love the list of small things, because of course there are plenty of good big things in my life, but it’s the small stuff that can make or break any individual day.
So, here’s a list of the little things that are making my fall:
- Coffee and amazing homemade baked goods with friends after school dropoff
- Bike rides with my family
- Runs with another mom
- Cool fall breezes
- Seeing how excited my son is about his little leopard gecko
- Needing to wear a sweatshirt with my shorts
- A quiet cup of coffee before my children wake in the morning
- The return of dark beers to restaurant menus
- Having a boss who thinks I can handle anything – and the feeling of accomplishment when I manage it
- Fieldtrips with 1st graders
- A school fundraiser that allows me to shower my children and their teachers with new books
- A Kindle full of new books for me to read
- Parties with friends I’ve known for more than 20 years
- Get togethers with new friends I will probably still be hanging out with in 20 years
- Snuggling under the covers now that it’s finally cooling off in Virginia
Despite the crazy that my Octobers have become, it is still my favorite time of year. The weather and fall foliage make this a wonderful time to be in Virginia. As much as I love the fresh veggies that are available in the summer, I’m so excited by the fall options and the return of nice warm soup to my life. I have a darned good life and it’s nice to pause for a moment and remind myself of that.
What makes you happy?