I don’t run with music. I live in an urban area, surrounded by cars and weirdos, so I want to hear what’s around me when I’m out there. But there was enough interest last week in what my playlist would look like that I actually found my ipod (which I haven’t used in 4 years!) and looked up the playlist that I put together for Marine Corps Marathon in 2008. It’s eclectic and old school and I realized I still love every song on the list. Most of these songs (or at least the bands) were part of my long drives between DC and University of North Carolina – Chapel Hill when Beer Geek and I were engaged/newly married and we lived in different locations while I went to grad school. Music helped keep me sane on the 4+ hour drive each way every other weekend from August, 1994-December 1995.
I’ve added a few random you tube videos for your listening pleasure. And I’m 100% sure my husband is horrified that I have ABBA and Fugazi on the same playlist.
Here are the first 25 songs:
1. Take a Chance on Me – ABBA (1977)
2. We Danced Anyway – Deana Carter (1996)
3. I Take My Chances – Mary Chapin Carpenter (1994)
4. Silver Naked Ladies – Paul Westerberg (1993)
5. The Sign – Ace of Base (1993)
6. Gary’s Got a Boner – The Replacements (1984)
7. Caryatid Easy – Son Volt (1997)
8. Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong – Spin Doctors (1991)
9. I Must Be High – Wilco (1995)
10. Attitude – The Replacements (1990)
11. Two Princes – Spin Doctors (1991)
12. Fall Down – Toad the Wet Sprocket (1994)
13. Give Back the Key to My Heart – Uncle Tupelo (1993)
14. Tubthumping – Chumbawamba (1997)
15. I Feel Lucky – Mary Chapin Carpenter (1992)
16. Knockin on Mine -Paul Westerberg (1993)
17. Box Full of Letters – Wilco (1995)
18. Don’t Turn Around – Ace of Base (1994)
19. Mamma Mia – ABBA (1975)
20. The Tide Is High – Blondie (1980)
21. Spanish Bombs – The Clash (1979)
22. Bad Mouth – Fugazi (1989)
23. Standing in the Rain – Husker Du (1987)
24. I Would Have Waited Forever – Yes (1991)
25. Everything Louder than Ever Before – Meat Loaf (1993)
Don’t forget: tomorrow is Tuesday and we are talking about tapering for upcoming races. We’d love to hear your tips and stories!
8 thoughts on “MCM Mama’s Running Playlist”
Oh my goodness – Spin Doctors and Toad the Wet Sprocket bring back LOTS of memories. I haven’t listened to them in ages! And Ace of Base. This is pretty amazing.
What a great list! Many of these songs bring back great memories !:)
OMG adding ABBA to my running playlist stat! Haha. Ace of Base , too. Good picks!
I dont walk with anything EITHER here in oakland.
Im always on WAIT WHAT??? high alert:-)
Very interesting playlist. I would compare my music a little more “aggressive” to help me push. OR I listen to gospel. LOL. My playlist is totally confusing.
I never run with music (just don’t want to) but I have to say, I LOVE your playlist. My kind of music. Do you get WTMD down your way, btw? You can stream it, if not. Great, commercial free music, full of little-known artists and great singer songwriters. You’d love it.
Who doesn’t love ABBA? On my playlist too!
I’ve got both ABBA and the soundtrack to Mamma Mia the movie. They’re great songs to workout to.