The topic for today’s Tuesdays on the Run is “Mother’s Day”. Running and moms seem to go hand in hand. (Probably because that’s how we stay sane!)
You just might be a Mother Runner if (with a nod to Jeff Foxworthy)…
- you go days without a shower because you just know you’re going to get that run in soon.
- you’ve ever ran in circles around the cul de sac because your kids are asleep in the house.
- you’ve ever paid for someone to watch your children while you go for a run.
- you think it’s perfectly acceptable to wear running clothes to bed so you can sneak out for a run in the morning.
- you paid more for your running stroller than for your first car.
- you have a “no screens” or “no sugar” policy in your house, but you’ll let your kids watch back to back episodes of Elmo and gorge on Fruit Loops if it means you get your run in.
- all you want for Mother’s Day is a long run and the chance to actually relax in peace afterwards.
- if not that, you’ll take a running watch.
- you’ve never seen your closest friends in anything other than running clothes.
- a girls’ night out starts with running and ends with beer and wine.
- you’ve bribed your kids with a run to the park and you run the longest route there that you can to get in extra miles.
What would you add to the list?
Also, check out why moms make the best Ragnar teammates and the five stages of a running mother.
[inlinkz_linkup id=714533 mode=1]
11 thoughts on “You might be a Mother Runner if…”
I’m always so impressed by runner moms who manage to find a way to get in their miles!
Well, I have paid to have a pet sitter come in & let the dogs out while I’m on a long run. 🙂
I love this writing prompt! I just became a mom this year and I’m still figuring out how to fit in running and everything. What a great list! Happy almost Mother’s Day!
This is too funny and true!! I have done the following ones from your list –
*run in circles around the cul de sac because your kids are asleep in the house.
*you have a “no screens” or “no sugar” policy in your house, but you’ll let your kids watch back to back episodes of Elmo and gorge on Fruit Loops if it means you get your run in.
*all you want for Mother’s Day is a long run and the chance to actually relax in peace afterwards.
Well, at least I know I’ll be prepared when I do become a mom!
Ha! The grade school is about 2 blocks from my house. There may have been times when I needed to pick them up from the nurse’s office (they were sick), but went for a quick run before. Or maybe I needed to drop something off at school and I’d do it on my run. One time there was a fire drill and I happened to be running by. It was cold, so I took off my jacket and gave it to my son to wear. I finished my run and he brought it home from school.
Haha! This is all SO TRUE! I was just saying to my girlfriends the other day that my running friends are by far my closest friends since we share so much dirt on the roads and trails!
Great post, mama!
you pass up social engagement to go to bed so you can get up early and run
🙂 🙂 🙂
Much props to the mother runners! I could see myself running around the cul-de-sac while the kids sleep, lol!
your kids ask if you got in a run…cause your kinda grumpy…love this post