So, we aren’t big on gifts around here. The boys always make me things at school and I really don’t need much in the way of “stuff”. When Beer Geek asked me what I wanted for Mother’s Day, I told him I wanted the camera I’d been researching and a shopping “spree” at Pacers. He was more than happy to tell me to go for it.
My shopping spree at Pacers was not huge. I bought the Gu’s I need for the marathon and one of the few running items I’ve wanted for a long time, but resisted buying. I finally bought myself a Spibelt Fitness and Running Belt.
I am not lacking in ability to carry things on my runs. I have a Fuel Belt for long runs, an Amphipod handheld for shorter runs, and a Nike armband that I use to carry my cell phone and key in when I don’t need to take hydration with me. This would be why I resisted buying the Spibelt for so long. But the new camera changes everything. I want to take it with me when I run or volunteer and I want it easily accessible and I don’t want it sticky from leftover Gu packets.
In a word, the Spibelt ROCKS! I bought it to wear during my volunteer stint and my race on Sunday. The camera fit great (and I could have also fit in my cell phone, my key, my granola bar, Shoo… o.k., maybe not Shoo, but the thing just kept stretching and stretching.) I wore it just below the waistband on my shorts. While I was volunteering, I wore it with the pouch on the back so I wouldn’t bump the camera. When I ran, I pulled the pouch to the front so I could reach my camera while running. It.Did.Not.Move. I actually had to check a few times to make sure it was there because I couldn’t even feel it! I have a feeling I’ll be wearing this a lot in the future. I’m planning to get the race bib clips as well and see how that works for me too.
And some bullet points for Monday Miscellany…
- Jones has strep throat. I was pretty sure he did, but of course, you have to go to the dr. and make sure. This meant a trip to the germ farm that is the pediatrician’s office. Just the place I was hoping to avoid the week of the marathon.
- I got called “Ma’am” today at the grocery store. I’ve kind of gotten used to the employees calling me ma’am, but today I got called that by another customer. Ouch! I know I’m turning 40 this year, but in my mind, I’m still young and hip (or at least as hip as I was when I was young LOL).
- I’ve been on a winning streak lately – I won a Kalyx bra from Jen at Setting You Free, The Athlete’s Palate from Wendy at Never Underestimate the Power of a Running Woman, and Recovery Socks from Erica at Run, Mommy, Run. I feel like I need to go out and buy lottery tickets.
- In case you are wondering, I bought a Nikon Coolpix S3000. I was looking for super small and fairly inexpensive and this one got good reviews. Comparing it to our very first digital camera reminds me of the old cell phones that were the size of bricks LOL. So far, I really like it (and it was “cheap” enough that it doesn’t freak me out to carry it on my runs.)
- I had planned on trying to “reset” my body clock this week so that getting up early for the marathon wouldn’t be so hard. Unfortunately, between insomnia and Jones yelling in his sleep (normal for him when he’s sick), I’ve been getting very little sleep. Hopefully tonight will go well and I can start getting up early on Wednesday. I really want to run my last two pre-marathon runs at the time I’ll be running the marathon.
- I keep wanting to head into full on stress mode about the marathon, but I have too much other crap going on to focus on that. I think that may be a good thing.