Today’s theme over at the Runner’s Lounge is “summer running”. I’m probably the worst person to give advice on running smart in the heat. I’m like the Berenstain Bears Bike Lesson of running. Do what I say, not what I do LOL.
My tips for the summer:
- Stay hydrated at all times – you never know when you might need to run when it’s hot out and you don’t want to start the run already dehydrated
- Plan ahead so that speed work and long runs are done on cooler days
- Slow down when it’s super hot
- Run in shaded areas – even if this means running the same loop multiple times
- Hydrate during the run – in the winter I will run for up to an hour without water. In the summer, I make sure I have my fuel belt or am near water sources for anything over a half hour run.
- Sunblock, Sunblock, Sunblock! And a hat.
None of this is revolutionary, but if I don’t remember, I’ll end up with a run like one I did last year.
Now for some pics from the half this past weekend:
Hey, this is a lot of fun
And to race or not to race…
I wasn’t able to transfer or defer my bib for the MC Half this weekend. Beer Geek is cool with going down for the night on Saturday, so that I can run on Sunday (it’s a 7am race that’s a bit over an hour away). He and the boys would hang out and maybe hit the pool. I’ve made a hotel reservation, but I can still cancel up until Saturday.
- I’ve already paid for the race
- Beer Geek would get dinner and beer at a restaurant he likes
- The boys would get to swim at the hotel
- I’ve heard it’s a well run race
- Another technical t-shirt and medal
- The cost of the hotel
- My legs are still a bit sore and tired
- It’s a “rolling hills” course with a hill at the end
- I’m running a 5K the day before – not sure if I’ll be racing or going slowly (depends on who I get assigned as my “buddy runner”)
- I’m not very good at just running for fun and will likely either push too hard or be disappointed in my time
I’ve got everything set up to run the race, but can cancel at a pretty late point. I’m leaning towards doing it, but will likely not decide until Saturday.
12 thoughts on “Summer running, race pics, and to race or not”
Great tips– I really need to be better about remembering sunblock. And love the photos (and captions) — there’s something about that first one (angle? expression? look of confidence?) that makes you look about six feet tall. I’m impressed too that you’re even considering running the half this marathon after PRing at Pacers (and a Sat. 5k). But it does sound like a fun and well-organized race…
Great pictures. They tell a story.If I had paid for a race, I am not sure I could not run it. Rolling hills actually aren’t bad if they’re short enough. I think they help me a little (the downhills, especially). If you decide to run, I am sure you will have a great race. Just don’t go for the PR. I had a really fun race on my last half because I knew I wasn’t going to PR and just wanted to have a strong race.good luck
Gotta love those last two pics – woth a thousand words, for sure.Tough call on the race. I would probably go for it, but I’m a race addict. :p Good luck with your decision!
Those are all smart tips!The pics from the race are great, and you look like a serious runner!
Good luck with the raxce if you decide to do it, sister!
I love the race pictures – you could make a little book out of them.Good luck if you decide to do the half this weekend! I’m sure you will do awesome.
Thanks for the tips and I love those pictures, you look great. I would race it. I think you have another PR in you! (sorry if this applies pressure!)
I say go for it, you can always run at an easy pace. “Thanks for the flower, I’ll try not to puke on you” I love that! That’s how I felt when they stopped me at the finish to cut off my shoe timer and put on my medal:)
That would be a tough call to make. Your pros and cons are pretty even. I know I have to get out of the mindset that every race has to be a PR and just get out there and have fun sometimes. Good luck whatever you decide! Love the race pictures!
Good luck deciding what to do about your race. All the pros and all the cons make good arguments either way. Those pictures are great! I especially like the flower & puke one. The first one is a keeper, though. Thanks for the summer running tips!
That’s a tough decision … I’d probably still do it, but take it easy 🙂
Tough decision… I always make up my mind at the last minute too 🙂 good thing you have the flexibility and good luck if you decide it’s a go!