Today’s theme over at the Runner’s Lounge is “summer running”. I’m probably the worst person to give advice on running smart in the heat. I’m like the Berenstain Bears Bike Lesson of running. Do what I say, not what I do LOL.
My tips for the summer:
- Stay hydrated at all times – you never know when you might need to run when it’s hot out and you don’t want to start the run already dehydrated
- Plan ahead so that speed work and long runs are done on cooler days
- Slow down when it’s super hot
- Run in shaded areas – even if this means running the same loop multiple times
- Hydrate during the run – in the winter I will run for up to an hour without water. In the summer, I make sure I have my fuel belt or am near water sources for anything over a half hour run.
- Sunblock, Sunblock, Sunblock! And a hat.
None of this is revolutionary, but if I don’t remember, I’ll end up with a run like one I did last year.
Now for some pics from the half this past weekend:
Hey, this is a lot of fun
And to race or not to race…
I wasn’t able to transfer or defer my bib for the MC Half this weekend. Beer Geek is cool with going down for the night on Saturday, so that I can run on Sunday (it’s a 7am race that’s a bit over an hour away). He and the boys would hang out and maybe hit the pool. I’ve made a hotel reservation, but I can still cancel up until Saturday.
- I’ve already paid for the race
- Beer Geek would get dinner and beer at a restaurant he likes
- The boys would get to swim at the hotel
- I’ve heard it’s a well run race
- Another technical t-shirt and medal
- The cost of the hotel
- My legs are still a bit sore and tired
- It’s a “rolling hills” course with a hill at the end
- I’m running a 5K the day before – not sure if I’ll be racing or going slowly (depends on who I get assigned as my “buddy runner”)
- I’m not very good at just running for fun and will likely either push too hard or be disappointed in my time
I’ve got everything set up to run the race, but can cancel at a pretty late point. I’m leaning towards doing it, but will likely not decide until Saturday.