It’s Taper Time around here. Except that tapering seems to imply that I actually had peak weeks. Which I did. 4 weeks ago! Normally I like tapering, but since I don’t feel like I finished my training, I’m feeling a little antsy. Which makes it the perfect time to Think Out Loud!
- This weekend is Runner’s World Half and Festival. I’ve been excited for this for so long! But, I don’t know which races I will be running. In fact, I won’t know which races I’ll actually finish until I actually finish. Yep, I promised my chiro that if I felt any pain at all, I’ll DNF. I’ve never actually done that before.
- My chiro really gets me. How do I know that? He suggested I go to Bethlehem Brew Works while I’m there. (He went to undergrad in Bethelehem.) He also loaned me another (kinder, gentler) foam roller. Yes, people, I’m taking two foam rollers and two different “sticks” with me to try and manage to run 26.2 miles over the course of the weekend.
- I’m also taking beer. I heard a rumor that some of these blogger types like beer, so I thought I’d take a small sampling of what Virginia has to offer.
- If only my clothes packing was going as well, as my beer packing. The weekend starts warm and gets cooler, we have four races, and lots of activities in between races. I have no idea what to take. Except shoes. I already have 3 pairs of Altras packed.
- Runner’s World has assigned us each a roommate for the event. Mine is Dani from Weight Off My Shoulders. I haven’t met her before, but she seems so high energy from her posts. I’m sure we’ll have a ton of fun.
- I have two goals this weekend: have fun (should be no problem there) and not break myself. OK, maybe I’m a little worried about breaking myself. I REALLY want to finish the Hat Trick, but I don’t want to walk the majority of Marine Corps Marathon. It’s going to be a really fine line to walk…
- Speaking of Marine Corps, I think it’s going to take me a really long time to finish. Pretty sure it will be a personal worst. So, I’m thinking it’s time to pull out the Wonder Woman top again. If I’m going to be slow, I might as well be cute while I’m running. I think I’ll be wearing a “261Fearless” skirt – because who doesn’t want to draw attention to their butt for 5+ hours…261-gym-girl-ultra-skirt-with-fearless-booty-billboard Because I am Fearless and I will get this.
- And then there’s Skirt Sports. They’ve done it again – now they’ve invented a skirt for easy peeing. Given that I lost at least 10 minutes at the Center of the Nation race where it poured and I had to try and get a soaking wet skirt up after a bathroom stop, I’m totally on board with this idea. Want in on the Kickstarter? Check it out. (affiliate link)
Have you ever DNF’d a race? Did you just walk back to the finish or wait for the sweeper car?