Finally, September is here. Except it’s still summer in all ways that count. My boys are still home from school and the heat is unbearable. I feel like I’m living in the summer that won’t quit. And you all know how much I love summer. Or not. I long for jeans and sweaters and dark beers and cool days. I’d like to kick my summer SAD to the curb and get on with my favorite time of the year. I’m thinking out loud about my favorite season and linking up with Amanda over at Running with Spoons.
- I can’t believe the races that I’ve been waiting to run are just over a week away. After I ran my first Mainly Marathons series in spring of 2013, I targeted Center of the Nation as one I absolutely wanted to do. It’s taken two years to get to this point (and really this is the only year I can do it), so I’m super excited to finally get up there. I’m also excited that it’s cooler than here. Fun Fact: I lived in North Dakota for 6 years of my life. Between that and my Wisconsin roots, is there really any wonder why I hate Virginia summers?
- As part of my trip to CON, I’ll be flying in and out of Denver. Guess what that means? Yes, I am visiting the mothership AKA Skirt Sports. (affiliate link) They have a TON of new products out and I really want to try them on for fit before I buy them. I have my gift certificate from the Boobie Run all ready to go.
- Shoo is playing travel soccer this year. He loves his team and it’s wonderful for him. We just got his schedule and most of it is great. (Hello, Soccer Gods, thanks for the late game after the Runners World Half. I’ll actually be able to run and get home for it.) But there’s one big conflict: his game on Marine Corps Marathon Sunday. Yep, it’s right around the time I expect to be finishing. My parents are in town for the race, but honestly, I think I’ll have them go to the game and I’ll just walk the 3 miles home from the finish line. Again.
- Speaking of soccer, on Tuesday, my only chance to run (because I slept through my alarm) was during soccer practice. I only did 3.5 miles, but it was one of the hardest runs I’ve done in a while. Why? OMG, the hills. It was all up or down. There was no flat at all. I should probably run there again soon.
- I’m struggling with fitting my races and my training plan together right now. My body and mind want to taper for the races I have coming up, but my plan says I need to run 16 miles this week and 16 miles the week after I return as my long runs. I’m thinking I can get in the 16 on Tuesday and that will give me almost a week of taper. Then I’ll hit the next 16 as soon after I get back as I feel like my body can handle.
- Thankfully, with everything else I have going on, my favorite beers are starting to roll onto the shelves. I already have the Starr Hill Boxcarr Porter in my fridge. It’s a pumpkin porter and it is absolutely delish! It won’t be long and my beer fridge (yes, I have a fridge that’s mostly beer) will be stuffed full of yummy fall beers. Hi, my name is Erika and I’m a beer hoarder.
- Finally, let’s talk Periscope. I’ve gotten an account (I’m MCM Mama, is anyone surprised?) But I don’t really know where to go from there. What are you enjoying on Persicope these days? Got some suggestions on awesome people to follow there? What would you like me to ‘scope about? I’m considering doing some live videos of the the races out at Center of the Nation. Any interest?
OK, I’ve put off my run for about as long as I could and still get it done this morning. Since I have zero interest in running in a feels like of 100+ later today, I’d better get out there.