15 years ago today, I married my best friend. Even after all this time, he’s still the first person I want to tell about my day and my favorite person to drink a beer with. So, here are 13 random things about him/us and some pictures taken over our years together. (I apologize for the quality of some of the pics. Maybe in the next 15 years, he’ll teach me how to use the scanner).
- We’d never have gotten together if there had been enough seats on the couch that evening. I may be laid back, but even I won’t sit on the floor of a fraternity house. Good thing there was a lap available. ;o)
- Beer Geek proposed to me late one night as we were walking back from a 7-11. The conversation went something like this: Beer Geek: “So, are you going to marry me some day?” Me: “Yes, but don’t ask again until you are serious.” Beer Geek: “I’m serious.” Me: “Oh, ok.” Romance is NOT our strong suit LOL.
- Our first date was on a Friday the 13th.
- We were married exactly one year after our first date, because 13 is our lucky number.
- We were married in Nebraska in May, had our reception in Virginia in July, and went on our honeymoon to Alaska in August. Best.Summer.Ever. Beer Geek wanted an Elvis wedding, but the only Elvis in Omaha was busy that weekend.
- For our 11th anniversary, we had a renewal of our vows ceremony. With Elvis.
- Our first vacation was a trip to Maine. It involved hiking during the day and camping in a very small tent at night. I informed Beer Geek at the end of the trip that I’m happy to hike, white water raft, whatever, but I WILL always have a real bed on vacation. We spent a lot of vacations at B&Bs after that.
- We once went on a vacation that included stops at 21 breweries/brewpubs in a week. It was awesome! We managed to hit 5 in one night in Eugene, Oregon and still stumble back to our B&B.
- Beer Geek took me out drinking at a brewpub and convinced me to adopt a cat at the SPCA. Then he did it again. Both cats were named after beers. One of those cats is still with us almost 15 years later.
- Beer Geek gives one of the best “off the beaten track” tours of D.C. If you are ever in the area, come explore D.C. with us.
- Beer Geek is a big fan of bands like Fugazi and Husker Du. He’s horribly offended that our CD collection (yes, we still have one) starts with ABBA, but he still keeps it in alphabetical order.
- Beer Geek would be ecstatic if I could find a job in the craft beer industry because then he could hang out with all the other beer geeks and drink beer.
- I refer to him as a geek because of his love for random weird geographical stuff and the fact that he “collects” counties. He actually has a map where he marks the counties he’s been in and has started maps for the boys as well.
Random pictures from over the years…