It’s Friday, which means time for Friday Five and the topic is staying healthy over the holidays. But today, I’ve got a little twist on my usual post.
In a nice little “stars aligning” moment, I’d already partnered with Kohl’s Activewear to give you all some ideas for how to stay fit over the holidays. We all know that it’s such a busy time of the year and all of the office parties and holiday open houses and dinners out add a double whammy: Not only are you too busy to get your workouts in, but you are filling your workout time with events that offer way too many yummy foods. And the beer? Umm, I may have already bought six different holiday beers. Maybe. But that’s a post for a different day.
Before I get to my tips, I have to tell you about the little package of amazingness (to quote my kids) that Kohl’s sent my way.
I already knew they had awesome workout clothes as most of my bras are Tek Gear bras as are many of my outfits. But they still managed to surprise me with all of the cool stuff they sent. Brands I knew like Nike, Champion, and Adidas, but also brands I’d never heard of like Marika and Soybu. I loved how many of the items I was sent had neat little details like cutouts and shirring and had useful features like pockets and thumbholes. Yes, we all love the thumbholes!
They even color coordinated things for me! (Did someone tell them that I usually clash? Beer Geek claims that clashing is my signature look).
And these yoga tights?
They may look like a couch (according to my Facebook “friends”), but they are the most comfortable tights EVER. Seriously I want every pair.
So, now that I am appropriately dressed to exercise my way through the winter, let’s talk about how I plan to stay fit through the holidays.
[Tweet “Wondering how to stay fit this winter? Let @Kohls and I help you out! #sponsored #kohlsfitholiday “]
1. Plan ahead – This includes knowing what days are going to be wall to wall busy (make ’em a rest day, but plan for them!) and knowing what you plan to do if weather intervenes. Evaluate what you have at home and figure out in advance what your other options are. For me, I have a treadmill, an exercise bike, and weights. I’m also walking distance to Pure Barre, Revolve, and a county gym.
2. Have the appropriate clothing – I’m pretty well covered, but I’m also a little obsessed with half zips and full length tights. I swear that’s what I live in all winter long. I may have found a few more things I’d like to get the next time I head over to Kohl’s…
1. adidas Ultimate climalite 1/2-Zip Ruched Top 2. Tek Gear® Bra: Core Essentials Racerback Medium-Impact Sports Bra 3. Soybu Maura 1/4-Zip Printed Pullover 4. Soybu Allegro Printed Yoga Leggings 5. Tek Gear® Bra: Core Essentials Seamless Low Impact Sports Bra 6. Skechers GOrun Sprint Sonic Awareness Running Shoes 7. FILA SPORT® Elara Leggings 8. Nike Club Leggings
3. Reward yourself – Set some goals (minutes worked out, miles run, days in a row, whatever) and when you meet them, buy yourself a small reward. Or a large one. Whatever works.
See what I did there? Reasons 2 and 3 justify any and all active wear purchases in the winter. (Don’t worry, I’ll come up with reasons to buy more in the summer.)
4. Join a challenge or sign up for a spring race: I have the #NovemberMiles challenge going on and pretty soon Amanda at Run to the Finish will be starting her annual challenge. I know those aren’t the only ones out there, so find one that fits your goals. And a spring race is always a good incentive to get in the miles, despite the cold.
5. Just do it. Some days it’s hard to get going, but if you can just get moving, chances are you’ll keep moving (isn’t there some physics law…) And if you don’t, well, every bit that you did manage is more than if you had never gotten off the couch.
Want some more tips? Check out the link up over with the DC Trifecta: Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney.
(Disclaimer: Kohl’s compensated me for this post. All opinions are my own and I will be wearing my couch tights around this winter.)
37 thoughts on “Tips for staying active during the holidays”
I like the couch tights!
Great tips and cute clothes!!! I want them!!!
We discovered Kohl’s a couple of years ago and The Captain always makes sure we find one when we cross border shop! Nice outfits! Love the jazzy tights.
They carry good quality stuff for reasonable prices. I have to drive a half hour to get to one and it’s totally worth it.
Wow, I didn’t even know Kohl’s had fitness clothes. Glad to know it. And clashing is good. It makes you more vibrant.
Yep, they have quite a collection.
If something doesn’t fit i’ll take it 😉 Love the black tights and the blue new balance top. happy running!
I know you want the colorful black tights. ;o)
The tights are super cute and I like the line- just do it!
Thanks. Sometimes I make myself run or hit the exercise bike even though it’s the last thing I feel like doing. 9 times out of 10 I end up doing the whole workout.
Those tights are so fun. I hope to get a pair for Christmas. All mibe are boring black.
Gotta have some fun in your collection! My favorites are actually the plain dark grey tights that I work with the blue top. Really comfortable and work well on the run.
Oh I LOVE those tights and don’t think they look couch like at all! Awesome gear!
Thanks! I heart them.
Great tips and cute clothes! I think the tights are fun 🙂
Variety is good! It was so awesome to open up the package full of fun clothes.
ooh I’m jealous I love the crazy tights! Never been to a Kohl’s
It’s like an upscale Target (but not super upscale). I buy a lot of household stuff and my business casual work clothes there. It’s not super close to us though, so I don’t get out there very often.
I am so staying fit this holiday. I don’t care about the weather – I am just going to do it. YES!! Cute clothes.
You go girl!
LOVE your graphic!!!!!
Great tips! Looks like a lot of cool stuff from Kohl’s! I signed up for spring race, so I have to stay in shape during the winter! 🙂
I need to start thinking about what I’m racing and come up with a plan…
You look so adorable! Kohls has really stepped it up in the fitness gear department!
Yummy clothes! I am obsessed with buying workout clothes, I’m already checking out some of these.
It’s crazy how much I like thumbholes! I thought the same thing about the yoga pants haha!
I am planning on signing up for a spring race so I can really hold myself accountable this winter and have something to look forward to!
Fabulous new pant! And a great list of ways to stay active. I especially appreciate the idea of rewards. I tend to forget about that from time to time. Glad to have found you through SITS.
I haven’t checked out Kohls in awhile – love those tights!!!
I actually signed up for Amanda’s challenge this year and can’t wait to do it for the first time ever.
Those yoga tights are so cute! Visiting from SITS
Great list! so true if I just get out the door I’ll have a great workout, just have to get moving 😉 And what is it about thumb holes that make run tops 100% better?
P.S. I like the “couch” print haha! I think they look awesome.
lol – your couch tights look comfy! 🙂
I have never stepped foot in a Kohl’s….I can never find one in my area. But they sound awesome! We all need some affordable active wear in our lives! Great tips to stay active and motivated!
Yes thumbholes definitely! And those couch tights are pretty awesome. I love them. Thank you for sharing these fun styles and your great tips! Oh and I’m definitely signed up for Holiday Sweat Challenge. #wowlinkup
Thanks. I think those couch tights will be my signature piece this year LOL.
I like the New Balance top! Enjoy your couch tights this winter. As long as they are comfortable who cares if everyone else thinks they are cute!
Great list! I always try to plan a couple of spring races to stay motivated to work out in the cold