It’s Friday, which means time for Friday Five and the topic is staying healthy over the holidays. But today, I’ve got a little twist on my usual post.
In a nice little “stars aligning” moment, I’d already partnered with Kohl’s Activewear to give you all some ideas for how to stay fit over the holidays. We all know that it’s such a busy time of the year and all of the office parties and holiday open houses and dinners out add a double whammy: Not only are you too busy to get your workouts in, but you are filling your workout time with events that offer way too many yummy foods. And the beer? Umm, I may have already bought six different holiday beers. Maybe. But that’s a post for a different day.
Before I get to my tips, I have to tell you about the little package of amazingness (to quote my kids) that Kohl’s sent my way.
I already knew they had awesome workout clothes as most of my bras are Tek Gear bras as are many of my outfits. But they still managed to surprise me with all of the cool stuff they sent. Brands I knew like Nike, Champion, and Adidas, but also brands I’d never heard of like Marika and Soybu. I loved how many of the items I was sent had neat little details like cutouts and shirring and had useful features like pockets and thumbholes. Yes, we all love the thumbholes!
They even color coordinated things for me! (Did someone tell them that I usually clash? Beer Geek claims that clashing is my signature look).
And these yoga tights?
They may look like a couch (according to my Facebook “friends”), but they are the most comfortable tights EVER. Seriously I want every pair.
So, now that I am appropriately dressed to exercise my way through the winter, let’s talk about how I plan to stay fit through the holidays.
[Tweet “Wondering how to stay fit this winter? Let @Kohls and I help you out! #sponsored #kohlsfitholiday “]
1. Plan ahead – This includes knowing what days are going to be wall to wall busy (make ’em a rest day, but plan for them!) and knowing what you plan to do if weather intervenes. Evaluate what you have at home and figure out in advance what your other options are. For me, I have a treadmill, an exercise bike, and weights. I’m also walking distance to Pure Barre, Revolve, and a county gym.
2. Have the appropriate clothing – I’m pretty well covered, but I’m also a little obsessed with half zips and full length tights. I swear that’s what I live in all winter long. I may have found a few more things I’d like to get the next time I head over to Kohl’s…
1. adidas Ultimate climalite 1/2-Zip Ruched Top 2. Tek Gear® Bra: Core Essentials Racerback Medium-Impact Sports Bra 3. Soybu Maura 1/4-Zip Printed Pullover 4. Soybu Allegro Printed Yoga Leggings 5. Tek Gear® Bra: Core Essentials Seamless Low Impact Sports Bra 6. Skechers GOrun Sprint Sonic Awareness Running Shoes 7. FILA SPORT® Elara Leggings 8. Nike Club Leggings
3. Reward yourself – Set some goals (minutes worked out, miles run, days in a row, whatever) and when you meet them, buy yourself a small reward. Or a large one. Whatever works.
See what I did there? Reasons 2 and 3 justify any and all active wear purchases in the winter. (Don’t worry, I’ll come up with reasons to buy more in the summer.)
4. Join a challenge or sign up for a spring race: I have the #NovemberMiles challenge going on and pretty soon Amanda at Run to the Finish will be starting her annual challenge. I know those aren’t the only ones out there, so find one that fits your goals. And a spring race is always a good incentive to get in the miles, despite the cold.
5. Just do it. Some days it’s hard to get going, but if you can just get moving, chances are you’ll keep moving (isn’t there some physics law…) And if you don’t, well, every bit that you did manage is more than if you had never gotten off the couch.
(Disclaimer: Kohl’s compensated me for this post. All opinions are my own and I will be wearing my couch tights around this winter.)