Pet peeves – those things that for whatever reason really annoy us, often disproportionately to the actual level of inconvenience it causes. We all have them, some of us more than others. When Patty, April and I chose “running pet peeves” as our Tuesdays on the Run topic, I thought to myself “I really only have one”. But as I thought about it more, I found more and more things that annoy me. Thankfully, running mellows me out, so I tend to not get too bent out of shape about things.
- Dogs, especially those with invisible fences – my parents’ neighborhood is full of these. I’ll be running along and a dog will come flying at me. I never know if they are going to stop at their yard or attack me. One can only hope that the heart rate spike provides some benefit LOL.
- Space hogs – It always amazes me in a busy urban area how many people walk in a way that blocks a whole sidewalk. And don’t get me started on races where people walk or run 3-4 abreast. Ugh.
- A misbehaving Garmin – I don’t mind running electronics free, but when I want to use my Garmin (for either pace or distance) and it won’t catch a satellite or catches it and drops it, I’m not someone you want to be around. I have, in fact, thrown in the towel on a run when Garmin was acting up too badly.
- Bushes growing over the sidewalk – it amazes me how many people allow their shrubs to take up large portions of the sidewalk. I joke that I’m going to start running with clippers and just trim bushes as I run.
- Businesses that don’t shovel their snow – Virginia is often right on the melt line, temperature wise, so we have a LOT of ice when people don’t shovel. The Golds Gym near me is the absolute worst offender. I have never ever seen them shovel their sidewalk and it’s on a road where it’s not safe to run in the street.
- Trash day – I get it. People need to have their trash picked up. But the combination of the smell, the cans that are often in the middle of the sidewalk, and the trash trucks that aren’t good at sharing the road, make me a really crabby runner on trash day.
- Crappy beer at races – Does Michelob ultra really have to be the beer of choice? You can’t at least give me Sam Adams???
- Races that don’t allow bib transfers – I get why races don’t give refunds. I understand why they don’t like when people run with other people’s bibs. But in the age of electronics, I don’t get why transferring isn’t allowed at many races. I don’t even mind a small fee to transfer.
- Races that make it difficult for runners from out of town to get their bibs – Some races make it super hard by not allowing for someone else to pick up a bib or offering morning of pickup. I know many race directors will make exceptions to the rules, but why make it hard on the runners who aren’t local? We are the ones who are really bringing money to the local economy!
- Crazy expensive race pictures – I’ve gotten free pictures from some races and reasonably priced ones from others, so I know it can be done. There’s got to be a point where they’d make more by offering cheaper pictures (especially digital) and selling to more people than the current high prices that prevent many of us from purchasing.
Whew! I had no idea I was so grumpy about running LOL. Thankfully, none of them really make me that angry – it’s more a mild annoyance.