Smarter than I look

by MCM Mama on May 1, 2012

So, on Saturday, when I was running barefoot on the treadmill, my left foot felt strange.  It felt sort of like the bones weren’t aligned quite right.  When I got off, there was a definite tender spot on the top of my foot.  I wore shoes for the rest of the day and it felt much better the next day.

On Sunday, I headed out for a run, fully prepared to bail if necessary.  I wore my Brooks Pure Connects to give my foot a bit of cushion.  That seemed to help during the run, but there was a definite soreness afterwards, especially when I was walking barefoot (which is how I am 99.9% of the time when I’m at home.)  I even took ibuprofen before bed, which is something I almost never do.

On Monday, my foot was really sore.  Like limping when not wearing shoes sore.  So, I put on my Connects and my foot felt 100%.  In fact, it felt so much improved that I was sure I could run.  One mile in, it became apparent that was not the case.   As I walked home, my foot felt fine when I was walking.  I may have even thought I could run/walk the 3.7 miles I needed to get to 100 for the month.  A few steps of running were all I needed to remind myself otherwise.

It killed me to not hit 100 miles this past month.  Killed me.  But a very localized tender spot with pain each time my forefoot hit the ground scares me.  I’d rather miss a short term goal than be out of running for a long period.

Today I have a chiro appointment for my calf.  Fingers crossed that whatever is going on with my foot is something that can be fixed with a little manipulation, rest, and ice.

Don't forget to enter my RoadID giveaway!
Follow on Bloglovin follow us in feedly

{ 20 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Tonia May 1, 2012 at 8:10 am

I hope it’s all ok! I bet it’s just inflamed from the mountains of Roanoke. Take it easy!

2 Heather Montgomery May 1, 2012 at 8:34 am

I REALLY hate to be the bearer of bad news but you may have a stress fracture in one of your metatarsals. This sounds exactly like what happened to me over thanksgiving. Don’t run on it if it keeps hurting and please go see a doctor! Good luck and I really hope I’m wrong!

3 Heather Montgomery May 1, 2012 at 8:45 am

Yes I wore a boot…couldn’t run for 9 weeks. I rode the stationary bike and lifted upper body weights but that is it. My x ray didn’t show a fracture at first b/c often they don’t show up until it’s healing, but we took precaution from the get go anyway and am so glad we did. no pain after 9 weeks.

4 Miz May 1, 2012 at 9:11 am

everything crossed….

5 misszippy May 1, 2012 at 9:39 am

Fingers crossed for you! I had a tendon issue on the top of my foot in winter that I was convinced was a stress fracture. A few days off, some acupuncture, lots of icing and massage and it got better. Hoping yours will too, and quickly!

6 Amanda @RunToTheFinish May 1, 2012 at 9:41 am

seriously i know we all know better but we just can’t stop ourselves!!

I have found consistent chiro to help with my pains almost anytime they start, so fingers crossed for you!

7 Yo Momma Runs May 1, 2012 at 10:35 am

Ugh, crossing fingers here too. And using the middle one at injuries. Why do they have to get in our business?

8 hikermom May 1, 2012 at 10:45 am

I hope your appt. goes well ant the foot feels better. I have had that pain before too. Weird, but usually goes away with a day or 2 of rest.

9 penny May 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

I hope you get that pain on top of your foot figured out.

10 AmyC May 1, 2012 at 11:32 am

Hoping that the chiropractor works wonders!

11 Beth May 1, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m thinking happy foot thoughts for you. I’m just starting to come back from a VERY similar ailment. I hope you recover quickly!

12 Erin May 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I am so hoping it is no big deal and you are as good as new in a couple of days. And you are SUPER smart for being careful. Hugs!

13 Suzanne May 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hope everything with your foot is ok and it feels better soon!

14 Char May 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s just a small strain and you only have to rest for a short time.

15 Char May 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm

16 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama May 1, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Seriously, you need to get it checked out. I’ve never had a stress fracture but it sure sounds like it. I’m crossing my fingers that it’s nothing.

17 Michelle @ Running with Attitude May 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I’ve been having some foot pain too and cut back on my miles towards the end of the month. Ice, massage and rest seemed to have helped a lot – hope the chiro does the trick!

18 heather May 2, 2012 at 12:01 am

Hope everything is okay and you are back running soon!

19 Christine @ Love, Life, Surf May 2, 2012 at 12:32 am

I hope that everything turns out OK but I’m so glad that you listened to your body and didn’t push it. Like you said, better to miss a short term goal than to be out for the long run. Fingers crossed and hope you are back running soon!

20 XLMIC May 2, 2012 at 2:00 am

Smart for stopping :)

I hope it is all fixed in a jiffy and you are feeling awesome super soon!