OK, maybe I’m jumping the gun. After all, I didn’t get to run yesterday because the kids had a snow day. Yes, I got a walk in and I shoveled snow, so it’s not like I didn’t move, but I’m still in search of a 13 mile run. (Didn’t happen on Wednesday because I spent the day transporting cellos and a bass. Long story, but the short story is sometimes being a mom comes before being a runner.)
1. Easter Egg Roll at the White House. We did this two years ago and it.was.awesome! My kids are a bit too old now, but it’s one of those things you should try to do at least once when your kids are young. Tickets are free, but you have to enter the lottery (which unfortunately ended yesterday, so you’ll need to put this on your list for 2016.)
2. Visit the cherry blossoms and the Cherry Blossom Festival. The cherry blossoms are gorgeous if you hit them at the right time (always a challenge) plus there are lots of fun activities related to the festival including a parade, a kite festival, and of course, the Cherry Blossom 10 miler.
3. Get outdoors! Spring in DC is absolutely beautiful. Sneeze filled, because OMG the allergens in this area. But beautiful. There’s so much to do here. It’s prime time to visit the National Arboretum, walk around Rock Creek park, visit the National Zoo, or venture slightly outside the city and hike at Great Falls or visit Mount Vernon. Or if you are a runner, the trails are ice free but not so hot that you have to plan your run at crazy early.
4. Run a race! Some of the best DC area races are in the spring. RNR DC kicks things off in mid-march with a half and full option (use code MCMMamaRunsDC for $15 off!). Soon after comes the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler and then the GW Parkway 10 Miler. In between are tons of smaller and shorter distance local races that are family friendly. It’s a great time to be a runner in DC.
5. Take in some sports! Both DC United (soccer) and the Washington Nationals (baseball) have season openers coming up soon. It’s a great excuse to get outside and enjoy watching someone else getting a workout LOL. (And maybe have a beer with it…)
[Tweet “Bringing your family to Washington DC this spring? Here are some fun things to do! #fitfam #nationscapital”]
I’m so ready for spring. I don’t care that my nose will be itchy and my eyes will be watering. I just can’t wait to run every day in a single layer of clothing. Imagine how much time I’ll get back in my day when it doesn’t take me as long to get dressed to run as it does to actually run!