Thanks to all of the snow (did I mention it snowed here? Yeah, it did. Just a few inches. Like 30 or something.), I’ve done most of my miles since the beginning of February on my treadmill or on the less busy streets of my neighborhood. Today, I was desperate for some new scenery! I had to take Jones over to a friend’s house, so on the way there and back, I scoped out the roads. I figured out an approximately 4 mile long route from my house so that I could accomplish my 8 mile run as an out and back.
- It was OUTSIDE and the weather was beautiful
- I maintained a good pace (9:47 overall), despite stoplights, major hills, snow piles, and idiot drivers
- I did a great job on negative splits (10:00/mile for the first four; 9:34 for the second four miles)
- The new Nike dri-fit half-zip that I was given recently rocked the run. Totally comfortable and just the right weight for the weather. It was so soft that I expect I will be able to wear it without another running shirt under it when it’s just a bit warmer out. *
- I got a huge amount of sand/salt in my shoes when running. This does not bode well for my 16 mile run on Wednesday
- There is still a lot of snow on any surface that was not shoveled, which made things tricky in a few spots
- The most annoying thing about the whole run? The huge house I ran by that had 4! cars in the huge (completely shoveled) driveway where the entire sidewalk in front had never been shoveled! If you can afford that many cars (or have enough driving age children that you need that many), you have no excuse for not shoveling. Even more annoying was that he was outside washing the sand and salt off his cars. I wanted to strangle him with his own hose!
- That Nike half-zip – it WAS white when I started out…