A few weeks ago I volunteered at a 5k and caught the “volunteering” bug. I knew that the National Marathon needed volunteers and I was able to get a spot at an early water station near a metro. Score! I convinced one of my “mommy” friends to volunteer with me, so we headed over there at 5:45am this morning! It was fun to ride the metro in with all the runners, but it felt strange to not be dressed to run. I kept having the urge to prove my “cred” as a runner LOL.
- Don’t wear white while handing out red ‘ade.
- Making eye contact with the runner grabbing a drink from you results in less spillage.
- Runners will generally aim for a box or trash can with their “empty” cups if there is one put out.
- Don’t stand right near said box if you don’t want to wear the ‘ade.
- Runners are generally awesome, appreciative people.
- And a note to myself: just because the race says they provide GU, don’t rely on that. There are always delivery snafus and sometimes the stations run out.
- It’s pretty amazing to watch the public works people clean up at the end. We helped, but they really had the job under control.