May is off to a rough start so far. Nothing major, just minor things, but somehow I find that harder to deal with than big things. I just finished a week of the worst PMS I’ve had in a really long time. Not only was it a week of alternating cranky, angry, and sad, it lasted an ENTIRE WEEK. I could probably stop right there as an explanation of where my mental state is right now. Unfortunately, Shoo and Jones decided to do everything they could to make the week even worse. Shoo is 3 (do I really need to say more?) and thinks that defiance is hilarious. Jones got in trouble this week and ended up staging his first protest – he said he was going to sit in the hallway until I gave him back his nintendo. I would have been amused if I hadn’t been so darned mad. Oy.
Added to the mental crap is the fact that my body seems to need a break. I think I’ve just been pushing myself too hard when I run. Either that or I need to start sleeping more. I’ve always done fine on 6 or so hours of sleep, but now the 7 I’ve been getting isn’t cutting it. My heel is still bothering me, although thankfully not while I’m running.
I’ve set myself some mini goals for the rest of the month to see if I can see some improvement. I have an annual physical on June 4th, so I’d like to see if I can feel better before the appointment. If not, then hopefully we can come up with some ideas at the appointment.
1. Drink more water. I used to drink a lot and now I find some days I only drink one glass at dinner.
2. Pull back a bit on “training”. I need to run easier on my long slow runs and on my easy days. Note to self: not every run needs sub 9 minute miles.
3. Get more sleep. I’m trying to give up my afternoon caffeine as I think I’m in a vicious circle of drinking caffeine because I’m tired and then not being able to go to bed on time.
4. See more of my friends. We have a pretty broad circle of friends, but lately we seem to only see the parents from Jones’ school/soccer team. I miss hanging out with the people who really know me well.
5. Start eating better. I eat a good breakfast and a good dinner with a ton of not so good stuff in between.
Today I ran my usual four mile loop in the opposite direction. This meant it ended with a mile long uphill. It seemed way harder in that direction. I still managed to do it in 35:50 (see what I mean about needing to slow down – I have a race Sunday…)
Off to read a few blogs and then try to be to bed before 10.