Monday? Already? Where did the weekend go? Oh yeah, it was a blur of orchestra, running, and the Superbowl.
Today I’m linking up with Tara at Running’n’Reading to share my weekend shenanigans and a recipe that I made when I finally had time to cook!
Last week was a blur of running and orchestra. I hit almost all of my planned miles, including a back to back 12 miler and 9 miler. I managed to trip at mile 8 of the 12 and I’m still experiencing soreness in the knee I landed on. It’s not bothering me much on the run, but it’s still tender. The highlight of my running week was yesterday – an unplanned 6 mile tempo run. The mileage was planned, but I went out too fast (nothing new there) and decided to see how long I could hold it. I surprised myself and held that speed (or faster – I saw a mile that started with an 8!) for the whole run.
The highlight of the rest of the week was, of course, Jones’ concert. He did great and the orchestra sounded incredible. Beer Geek insisted on sitting in the front row, so we could practically touch Jones while he played. It’s amazing what 3 days of intense practice can do!
Sunday I made my first real non-crockpot, not out of the freezer meal of the week. It was the first time I had more than a few minutes to throw together a meal. I’ve been making this Chicken Marsala meal for years, so I’m sharing it with you below.
And then there was the Superbowl! I didn’t really care who won since the Packers weren’t playing, but wow, what a game! I actually watched more than just the commercials. Speaking of commercials, I thought most of them were a waste of money, but I totally loved the #likeagirl ad. As a mom of boys, I have the challenge of raising children who will never use that as a derogatory comment, rather than the challenge of raising a girl to be confident. I’m pretty sure that I’ve taken care of the “run like a girl” aspect. ;o)
This week is calmer, thankfully. Only one rehearsal and the beginnings of braces plus a quiet weekend, so I should finally get caught up on the mounds of laundry in my house (after I kick the cat out of the basket…)
My run plan includes 13, 10, and 6, plus keeping the #runstreak alive. (34 days and counting!)
I actually made a meal plan for the second week in a row too!
Monday: Veggie burgers
Tuesday: Leftover Chicken Marsala
Wednesday: Tortilla soup
Thursday: Stuffed peppers
Saturday: Tortilla soup
Sunday: Canton pork stew (recipe next week)
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 t. thyme
- 1.5 T olive oil
- 8 oz mushrooms – crimini, shitake, or oyster, sliced
- 1/4 C beef broth
- 3 T marsala winde
- 1 T grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 T minced fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced (optional)
- Flatten or butterfly chicken breasts.
- Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, cook 2-3 minutes, remove with slotted spoon.
- Add chicken, cook 3-5 minutes per side until slightly brown, remove and keep warm.
- Stir beef broth and wine into skillet, making sure to scrape up browned bits.
- Return chicken to skillet and top with mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and spoon pan juices over each breast.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until chicken is done (5-15 minutes depending on size and thickness of chicken breasts.)
- Sprinkle with parsley and garnish with lemon to serve.
[Tweet “A new recipe for you to try: Chicken Marsala! #healthyeating”]
Happy Monday! Don’t forget to join us tomorrow for Tuesdays on the Run! We have our first guest host tomorrow and we’ll be talking about nutrition!