Seriously. Just don’t do it.
I’ve been stuck in Boston because of a snow storm coming back from Iceland. I got to sleep in an airport in Nebraska thanks to a snow storm. I got to take an extra ferry between islands to catch an airplane on another island during a windstorm while in the Azores (and we won’t even discuss the fact that I had morning sickness AND I get seasick. Yeah, that was fun for all).
But I think this trip might just take the cake.
Things that went wrong:
- It “snowed” in DC on Sunday morning. Just enough that our flight needed de-icing and we took off almost an hour late.
- We arrived in Philly and RAN from one end of the A terminal to the other (between a quarter and a half mile) only to miss our flight. Remember, I ran a half marathon the day before.
- Our flight the next day was delayed because the glue had to cure on a new window. Really.
- The new window didn’t work right, so we lost another hour and a half.
- We FINALLY got to St. Maarten and the airport lost power. No, really, it did.
- We got a rental car and there was an accident, so we couldn’t get out of Simpson Bay.
- 20 or so cars got out of Simpson Bay after the accident. We? Were 4 cars back when they raised the bridge for almost a half hour to let all the yachts through.
BUT! This is the view I had when I woke up this morning:
And there were some good things:
- Nodding Head Brewery in Philadelphia
- Clean underwear from Macy’s
- Our bag was the last bag to come out right before the power went out
- An amazing “France meets Jamaica” meal for dinner
- No kids. ;o)
- The Run EMZ t-shirt that will be running down the beach tomorrow
- The fact that I will be barefoot or in minimalist shoes all week
- USAirways staff who changed our flight so we’ll be here an extra day
- My parents who were awesome enough to take one for the team and let us stay an extra day
I’m in St. Maarten now, so you can be jealous. At least until it comes time for me to actually head home.