Thank you DuClaw Brewing for sponsoring this post and sending me the DuClaw Mad Bishop. All opinions and the Spicy Beer Cheese Soup recipe are my own.
Welcome to the August edition of “Cooking with Beer”! Each month DuClaw Brewing sends me a beer and a friend and I create a recipe. It’s a fun time to think outside the box and try a new beer and new food. This month’s beer is the DuClaw Mad Bishop, a German Style Oktoberfest.
I’m always excited to see Oktoberfest beers start coming out. It means that summer heat is coming to an end and soon it will be my favorite time of year. I love cooler weather, the colors of the leaves, and the darker beers that start gracing the shelves. The DuClaw Mad Bishop nicely fills the niche between hot weather lighter beers and the heavy, often spiced, beers of the winter. It pours a lovely copper color and has a smooth mouthfeel with a nice malty flavor. DuClaw has been brewing this seasonal favorite for around 20 years!
Of course, the thought of cooler weather also brings the thought of soup! I love soups of all kind and make different kinds nearly every week in the fall and winter. I often have a couple of different kinds in the fridge to get us through the crazy that is our life during soccer season. When it came time to decide what kind of soup, my recent trip to Wisconsin came to mind. I love beer and I love cheese, so you know what I wanted. But I wanted to put my own twist on it, so smokey, spicy beer cheese soup it is!
DuClaw Mad Bishop Spicy Beer Cheese Soup
- 1.5 C carrots, diced
- 1.5 C onions, diced
- 1.5 C celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 5 T butter
- 4 T flour
- 1.5 C chicken or veggie broth
- 2 chipotle peppers (from can of chipotle in adobo sauce), seeded and diced
- 2 T adobo sauce
- 2 C DuClaw Mad Bishop beer
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 C milk
- 2 C half and half
- 6 C smokey cheddar, shredded
- Melt butter in a dutch oven
- Saute carrots, onions, celery, and garlic for 10 minutes
- Add flour and saute until flour is slightly browned
- Add chicken broth, chipotle peppers, and adobo sauce
- Bring to a simmer and simmer until veggies are soft (if you prefer a smooth soup, use an immersion blender before adding beer)
- Add beer, both mustards, and Worcestershire sauce and return to a simmer
- Slowly whisk in milk and half and half and return to a slight simmer (Do not boil - you want it hot enough to melt the cheese, but you don't want it to burn)
- Add the cheese by the handful, whisking each handful until smooth.
- Garnish with popcorn, croutons, or bacon and serve immediately.
I used twice as much adobo sauce and it had a good zing to it.
[Tweet “Just in time for fall – spicy beer cheese soup with @DuClawBrewing Mad Bishop Oktoberfest! #sponsored #craftbeer”]
Disclaimer: DuClaw Brewing sent me beer to cook with and compensated me for this post. Recipe, photos, and opinions are my own.
Join us on Tuesday for Tuesdays on the Run! Marcia, Patty and I want to hear about your fall race plans! (My schedule is rather light, maybe I’ll join you somewhere…) And if you have a topic you would like us to address, let me know!