Last night I sat down after a long day of running around and happened to read Carla Birnberg‘s post. She is one of my favorite people I’ve gotten to know in the blog world and her posts often make me think. Yesterday’s post was about what she and her daughter would put in their “emotional” first aid kits. I loved how her daughter immediately knew and that it was totally different from Carla’s choices.
It got me thinking. What would I put in my emotional first aid kit?
- Running shoes – This one is kind of a no-brainer. I suffered from postpartum depression with my first child and running helped me turn the corner. To this day, anytime I’m struggling a short, easy run can put me back in a place where I can cope with whatever is going on.
- A chic flick type of novel – I don’t have a lot of time to read and I try to read interesting, thought provoking books, but when I’m in need of a mental pick up? Hand me Joanne Fluke, Nora Roberts, or Barbara Frothy and I can practically feel my brain take a deep sigh.
- My phone – Not so I can play on my smartphone. I’m happy with any phone or computer as long as I can reach my parents on the other end. Yes, I’m 44 years old and I still want to talk to my mommy and daddy anytime life is a little bit wonky. Sometimes it’s because I know they’ll have a solution, but other times it’s just to have someone who won’t judge what I’m feeling.
- A beer and chocolate – Yes, sometimes food is the emotional band aid I need. There’s something about pouring a glass of good craft beer and sitting down to enjoy it that helps me cope. It’s not even about the alcohol – most times I struggle to finish an entire beer. It’s more about the memories and relaxation I associate with it.
- My fuzzy robe – I can’t be stressed in it. It just makes me feel so warm and cozy and loved. It’s both the physical sensation of being comfy and the memories associated with it that help me.
[Tweet “What would you put in your emotional first aid kit? I’d love to hear! #fitfluential #mentalhealth”]
Don’t forget to enter my Skirt Sports Happy Girl giveaway!
Linking up with Running with Spoons for Thinking Out Loud Thursday.